Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you have experience with tattoos, PLEASE READ THE UPDATE at the BOTTOM and HELP...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 102 Replies
I have a question.

I unstandard tattooing is an art, and I respect that. However I just recently went to get some new ink and was sort of shocked by the service/comments and wanted to know if this is the norm, or if it's just the backwards company I was dealing with. After all, I live in a state where tattooing just became legal less than 10 years ago.

Is it normal for people to bring in and request exactly what they want, or do they usually walk in and let the artist do whatever the heck they want.

Also, should the tattoo artist have more say in what you get, than you do, or is it acceptable for them to get irritated because they have a different vision than you, and you don't want their vision (that you don't like) on your body permanently.

I just had a very unpleasant experience where I had two different artist tell me that they don't usually do what people want, people just come in and let the artist do what they want.

They also tattooed over a tattoo I had done less than 24 hours prior, and only afterwards told me that healing would be twice as difficult and there was twice the chance of infection. Again I was only told this AFTER it was done. If I knew this info beforehand I would have waited until it was healed and then came back. On top of that the pain was almost unbearable. I knew it would hurt more than it did the night before (which didn't really hurt at all) but I had no idea how excruciating it would be.

I've had two done at separate times years ago and I was treated much better, but unfortunately I can't track down those artists, and my search for a new artist was a total fail. Even though I did tons of research.

If you know of an EXCEPTIONAL artist in NC or GA, please let me know.

ETA:

The original one was just an outline, not colored in and not connected at the bottom. I just wanted it connected and colored in. I asked if I needed to wait, they told me I could do it that day... But I should've went with my gut instead of listening to the so called "professional".

UPDATE: My ankle where the tattoo is, is now red, swollen, feels hot and my toes are tingling. Please tell me this is normal?!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rene04
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Sounds like that place was horrible. I've had artists help me create my vision but never have they said that they only tattoo what they want.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nickolyn
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:10 AM

thats a long ways from me but heres a bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Um yea never had that problem being told what they will and won't do. I told them what I wanted or brought in a pic and they did what I asked. But I guess everywhere is different.
idee
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I actually have a tattoo that is a combination of two. It is wrong that a tattoo artist anywhere would want you to not have a complete say in what goes on your body.

I would drive out of my way to find a better person.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM
When I was 16 my pregnants took me to get a tattoo. Well we went to a place that a guy refused to do my tattoo cause I wanted a playboy bunny.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Yea those guys were dicks. I'm in ga and the guy that did mine was amazing he grew up with his family doing tattoos and now he does them. I went in and told him I wanted a rose so he drew one up and it was beautiful the finished tattoo is amazing I think. 

I went to dermagraphic productions in augusta ga. You should heck them out if you are in the area

Mommy2AlexAraya
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I have gone in both ways, knowing exactly what I want and having an idea that the artist put together. The artist should always respect what you want. It is your body. They should never have tattooed over a tattoo that was not healed yet. I have had tattoos that needed two sittings but I couldn't get the second done until the first was completely healed. I would never go back to the place you went. As for a good shop, I don't know any down there.
BEXi
by BEXi on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Im in NC. You can bring in whatever you want, or you can let the artist do as they please. It depends on the person.

My friend did my tattoo. Ive known him since I was 13 and he is very talented. I went in with an idea in my head. He sketched it on me with sharpie and on we went..

ShanesMommy2012
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Wtf that place should get shut down...
flawskii
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM
For them to tell you that they only do what they want they're in the business of customer satisfaction. I juat recently got my 18th tattoo. It's common for people to come in with their with their own art because that's what THEY want. A tattoo artist will give you their opinion but at the end of the day you have the final decision. As far as them tattooing over you that you just got that wasn't even healed yet, that was just dead wrong and VERY poor judgement on their end. The place you went to sound like a pos
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)