Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I called CPS on my mom.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 116 Replies
3 moms liked this
I turned 18 three weeks ago.

My mom is an abusive alcoholic, I've been the one to care for my 8 year old brother.

The day I turned 18 she said "your an adult, get the fuck out"

I knew that would happen. My bags were already packed. And so were my brothers.

I left and I took him with me.

I had been taking pictures of injuries we had sustained from her.

Video taped drunken rampages.

We stayed with my friend for a few days over the weekend.

I called CPS and reported the her abuse and the fact that my brother was not under her care.

I took them the proof of abuse that I have and my mom has been arrested.

My brother is currently in a foster home.

I saw him Friday he's happier than ive ever seen him and he's already made a few friends at his new school. But he asked when he'd get to come home with me and that made me cry

I am 9 weeks pregnant. My boyfriend and I have a small apartment together.

We are saving for a larger three bedroom apartment. With in the next two months we will have enough for the deposit and be able to move

Once we have that, I will be trying for custody of my brother.

I know it may be a long shot, but we both have jobs, I know I can care for him and once we have a larger apartment there will be enough room.

I've been told that it will be useless to even try, but i don't won't to just abandon him.

I'm sure some of you will think its dumb and pointless as well, but I figured since I don't have a lot of friends or family this would be a good place to share news and updates.

Also to add a little info, I've been working since I was 16, I paid for my exams to get my GED since I needed to work full time. (my mom quit her job, I paid the rent and electric bills with my own money). Food was purchased with food stamps. I did the shopping. The cooking. The cleaning. Took my brother to and from school, took him to the free clinic for immunizations.
When he was a baby I got up with him at night.
Chained his diapers. Fed him. Bathed him. Room him down the gall to the babysitter before I went to school. I potty trained him. Taught him his abcs, how to count, read and write.

I've don't everything i could for him.
And even though people think its stupid and useless, I'm still
Going to continue to do so.

I know I might not be able to get custody off him, maybe even most likely won't be able to. But I spoke with the CPS case worker and a lawyer and they both think that I do have a chance at it as long as I can prove that I can care for both him and my baby.

Also,aiden And I Are getting married.
We have the money to get the marriage license And will be getting that soon and we will be getting married at the court house. (we started dating when I was 14)

So that is everything that's going on right now.. Feels kinda good to be able to type all that out...
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I recommend trying to find a good pro-bono attorney too.

I'm so sorry this has happened :(

raefmom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM
6 moms liked this

I think you did the right thing. CPS usually tries to keep kids with family when possible. Just keep in contact with his caseworker. And keep in contact with him as well. 

Destiny907
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:03 PM

you might get custody- but it would look a LOT better if YOU were not an unwed mother, honestly.

Trisha234
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM
2 moms liked this
It's not useless. You probably have a decent shot at getting custody of your brother. Sounds like you are very smart. Good luck to you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tyner_brylee
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I wish you luck. I was granted sole custody of my little brother when i was 18.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM

How often will they let you visit him in foster care?

Lalalie
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I do hope the best for you but please do think of the best for your brother. Will being with you be best for him, or will a foster family be? Maybe he can find happiness there. Are they allowing you to have open communication there with him? You should be able to have it, I believe.

But if you think you can provide the best for him then I do hope you get him, and wish you guys the best.

Nightcrawler98
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I say go for it i got custody of my 9 year old brother because our mother and i use the term lightly . Abused him i was 19

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM
I can see him once a week right now.

Quoting Anonymous:

How often will they let you visit him in foster care?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:06 PM
2 moms liked this

You might try asking for help at a local church. They might help you with the deposit for a larger apt so you can get custody of him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN