Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me with my kid :-(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
He is such an awkward kid. He has no friends at all. He used to have friends in the neighborhood but that slowly dwindled. The first day he came home in tears and said that so-and-so didnt want to play with him it hurt my heart so bad.
And it's happened several times since then. He begs and begs to go ask someone to play. I try and give him excuses as to why he can't because I know he will be disappointed. He wants to play SO bad, it's almost all he talks about. So finally I tell him ok. There were 5 kids playing outside, he went up to them, asked if he could play and they completely ignored him. He asked again and one just turned around and said "GOODBYE ethan".
This happens at school, too. He eats lunch alone and plays with rocks at recess.
I feel so bad for him. I know he is a strange kid. I was, too. I don't know how to help him make and keep friends.
He is only 6.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM

My daughter has had a hard time making friends too. Maybe get him involved in a play group or activity group that he is interested in. How is he akward?

Lovemyshadows
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to the other kids mothers.  That's really rude.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:48 PM
He has little quirks here and there. And he cannot talk normally, he screams everything he says. I've tried working on it....not really working, though. He just gets so excited about everything.

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter has had a hard time making friends too. Maybe get him involved in a play group or activity group that he is interested in. How is he akward?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM
It is, I agree. But, then again, I don't want them to be basically forced to play with him because his mommy told on them. kwim?

Quoting Lovemyshadows:

SunshineBird
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Poor kiddo! Have you thought about martial arts programs? It may build confidence if he enjoys it plus most reputable instructors are really big on acceptance and respect. The other kids in the class might be a bit more tolerant of his quirkiness? 

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Quoting Lovemyshadows:

What so they can force their kids to play with him?  That is not the answer.

Sapphire.Tears
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Try counseling? That might help him to gain some confidence, or even try some sort of sport where the other kids CANT ignore him without getting in trouble from the coach. GL mama!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Your son was me from kindergarten to high school graduation. Never had one friend. It was a miracle that I met DH.
KawaiiLila
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:52 PM
That doesn't sound too bad. Maybe you can find kids he has something in common with. Does he like anything like anime or Pokemon or Harry potter. Usually those kinds of interests bind kids together. Maybe look into speech or something for the yelling. I used to be really loud and ppl would tell me to shut up and now I am quiet and they tell me to be louder. Lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

He has little quirks here and there. And he cannot talk normally, he screams everything he says. I've tried working on it....not really working, though. He just gets so excited about everything.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM
we were actually walking by a karate place yesterday and he asked to join. That might be fun. Thanks.

Quoting SunshineBird:

Poor kiddo! Have you thought about martial arts programs? It may build confidence if he enjoys it plus most reputable instructors are really big on acceptance and respect. The other kids in the class might be a bit more tolerant of his quirkiness? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN