Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Gifts for Nurses?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM
  • 27 Replies

I have two questions:

My mom was in the ICU for about 5 weeks in 2 different hospitals. She will be going into hospice care in the next few days. Some of her nurses have been amazing. What do you get for a nursing staff in this situation as, like, a thank-you gift? (Flowers cannot be sent to an ICU as far as I know. Plus, I don't think they're pragmatic.)

My maternal grandmother passed away last Sunday (yeah, you read that right) comfortably in the home she's been in for over 5 years (almost 6). I know many of her nurses very well (and they love my mom--she was always doing nice things for them). One of the nurses who I befriended stayed with my grandmother as she passed (even after she shift was over) so I could be with my mom in the ICU two hours away. I didn't request this, but she knows me and my mom well, and she knew this put my mind at ease. What can I get this nursing staff, nurses I know well and have built a 5+-year relationship with?

Thanks, girls.

slightlyperfect

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheDoctorsWife
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this
First, I'm sorry.

Maybe an edible arrangement or cater a lunch (don't forget the night shift) from honey baked ham or something like that. People love food! Lol

Or, if money is too tight for that, bake a treat.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
by Babushka Blockparty on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:41 PM

How do I plan for a catered lunch for more than one shift?

Thanks. :)

Quoting TheDoctorsWife:

First, I'm sorry.

Maybe an edible arrangement or cater a lunch (don't forget the night shift) from honey baked ham or something like that. People love food! Lol

slightlyperfect

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM
You can order deli platters or hoagie platters one for each shift they will put them in the fridge for second and third shift.

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

How do I plan for a catered lunch for more than one shift?

Thanks. :)

Quoting TheDoctorsWife:

First, I'm sorry.

mstricey
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Cards? I think that is so sweet of you. Like a pp said, nurses love food also lol. Atleast we do at the sites I go to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Chocolate. Or any type of pre-made food.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

I work at a nursing home when families want to thank the nursing staff they usually send a card and food. Things like bagel baskets, cookie platters, boxes of chocolate, hoagie platters, and doughnuts.
MrsMatthew
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM
You can bake a variety of treats--enough to last day and night shift. One of the best things for nurses to get is a thank you card thanking them by name. Those go in portfolios and records and most hospitals include them in evaluations for raises.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont know any nurses that will eat home made food patients or family bring in. Definitely make sure it is pre-packaged or we will smile and thank you, then dump it.

Quoting MrsMatthew:

You can bake a variety of treats--enough to last day and night shift. One of the best things for nurses to get is a thank you card thanking them by name. Those go in portfolios and records and most hospitals include them in evaluations for raises.

unspecified42
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Food and a very nice letter to the management with specific names.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristen.Marie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM
I am a nurse and I like when patients family members bring in bagels and cream cheese in the morning as a gift. Make sure you label what you bring for day shift and night shift. Other things I have seen brought in are: boxes of chocolates, Carmel apples, store bought cupcakes and one time someone brought a big basket of little bags of chips and fruit
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)