Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you or your spouse WERE in the MILITARY

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 99 Replies

and got out, what do you or Dh do now as far as work? Did it take a while to find a decent job? Are you better off now or were you better off in the military?

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM
It really depends on their rate while in the military.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Deputy. Less pay. He was a Master Sgt.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Dh is still in, I was medically discharged in July. I was better off in. I work full time and am about to start using my GI Bill. I made way more money active duty.

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Bump. Husband is still in (he's going to re-enlist soon!).
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM

How so?

Quoting Anonymous:

It really depends on their rate while in the military.

FL2AK
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM
He went into upper management for a railroad for a few years and now he has the same job as he did in the military as a contractor. My husband went to college while he was active duty and earned his bachelor's degree after he got out.
FL2AK
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM
He earns more now, but more of the income is taxable so it all works out to be about even.

Quoting FL2AK:

He went into upper management for a railroad for a few years and now he has the same job as he did in the military as a contractor. My husband went to college while he was active duty and earned his bachelor's degree after he got out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Oh ok. Nice! Does he have to worry about a furlough at all?

Quoting FL2AK:

ebbierowe
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:18 PM

well dh is still in so I can't answer if we will be better off. But when he gets out he will have his PhD in physics (if things go to plan) so aside from the medical insurance I think we will probably be the same by the time he retires.

Of course getting out before retirement changes alot of things. He does have friends that have gotten out and most of them haven't had trouble finding work, but they all had college degrees so I don't know if that mattered or not.

milfanyway
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:19 PM
I was medically discharged, using my gi bill for a secondary education degree. My dh is still active. So no real job hunting yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN