Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

s/o of the "do you make them eat everything on their plate" post

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
  • 184 Replies

Answer anonymously if you would like, but please answer honestly (of course I imagine many won't anyway, lol).

Of those who DO make their children eat everything on their plates, how many of YOU are overweight (as adults)?

It's been my experience that those who have this policy are generally overweight themselves and believe that "mommy knows best" (in so far as when a child should and shouldn't be hungry and/or full).

ETA: If you were forced to finish everything on your plate as a child, are you overweight now?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VannaMae307
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I am definitely not overweight. I don't force him to eat his entire plate but sometimes I can tell when he is being a little turdy bird. THAT is when I make him eat the majority of it. I can very easily tell if he's truly done eating.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM

*hugs*

My husband is the same. He sincerely has this mental block that doesn't allow him to see ANY food go to waste - even if he's stuffed, he will still finish his plate (and any leftovers there isn't room for in the fridge).

Quoting Anonymous:

I let my children decide when they are full. We don't have the clean plate club.

My mother made me clean my plate as a xhild and I've struggled with weight my whole life.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:36 PM
2 moms liked this
No, but I save what's left because I know five minutes after she leaves the table she'll magically be hungry for junk.
graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Exactly this

Quoting Anonymous:

No, but I save what's left because I know five minutes after she leaves the table she'll magically be hungry for junk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krystle21
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
My bmi says I'm obese but just by looking at me I'm not overweight
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_ClearFruit_
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM
This! I don't like to waste food

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jesistar6910

I do not make my DD eat everything off of her plate.

I was made to do that as a child, and yes I am overweight.

kidlover2
My mother forced me to eat everything on the plate and I've always been stick thin until I had 3 kids... I'm still doing ok. 5'9" & 150lbs would like to lose about 8 lbs.
My kids are all stick thin but I don't require them to finish their plate unless they've picked out their seconds.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
teal_phoenix
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:39 PM

No, I do not!!!

As an adult I don't have to plus if they are full then they are full right? My son also has sensory issues and I can't imagine the damage that would do to him.

He also as food that he enjoys that we make sure to have around.

He has enough issues with food.

davnrori
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I do not make my kids eat everything on their plate but I DO make them take at least one bite of everything I put on their plates. If they don't eat what they are given they are not allowed to ask for anything else, not even a piece of fruit, for the rest of the night or until their food is gone. We don't eat much that is unhealthy in this house, we are not overweight, and even if I forced my kids to eat everything I put on their plates, it wouldn't be bad for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)