Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Appendix question-help help help!!!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
So dd(8) started complaining of lower right side pain sat nite-no fever but nausea and diarrhea off and on. She describes the pain as a throbbing when it hits and now it radiates to her belly. It is very periodic. I took her to her doc today and they ran a CBC and urine culture as well as a cbp or a crp ( lol not good with remembering.)

She has low grade fever (99 ish) and when doc was doing exam no matter where doc worked around-pain was always in same same spot( about an inch and a half on the inside of her right hip bone.
The doc was just not real sure and is waiting on the liver test to see where we are at--next step is ultrasound.
Has anyone had experience with appendix probs in kiddos or anything with same symptoms?
The only real thing I didn't like was we didn't seen dd's regular pedi(same office though) and though I trust her, she just doesn't know my dd history.

On a side note-my dd has post-strep reactive arthritis-which basically means her body attacks itself when the bacteria is present. I thought maybe it was related but her outbreaks generally present in the hip socket.

I know it is long but any advice is appreciated-I am just waiting to hear back from doc tomorrow.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Replies (61-64):
Allisonc7910
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Hmm classic appendicitis goes from belly button to lower quadrant but honestly I have seen it all over the right side. I do ER reports for hospitals and see it all the time. The patients have never really had such a perfect textbook onset, just pain on the right side and vomiting. The pain can radiate.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hers started out as only lower right and not it's belly button over to lower right whe it is throbbing--when you press on it, it's just the spot by her hip bone.

Quoting Allisonc7910:

It is lower right, my bad. Start at the belly button an move a bit downward. If it gets more pronounced I would go to the ER they can do all that there.

Quoting BeAmour:

Lower right

Quoting Anonymous:

It is about 11/2 inch in from the top of the hip none towards the belly button--I don't know the quadrants-- would that be upper or lower?

Quoting Allisonc7910:

Appendix pain you will know. Pain is usually diffuse at first then localizes to the right upper quadrant of the stomach, not near the pelvis.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:07 AM
She just hasn't had vomiting-only nausea, Which she says happens when the pain hits and the loose stools..idk I guess the test will tell us more in the morn--I just get so concerned ESP now that all I have area thoughts as I try to fall asleep!

Quoting Allisonc7910:

Hmm classic appendicitis goes from belly button to lower quadrant but honestly I have seen it all over the right side. I do ER reports for hospitals and see it all the time. The patients have never really had such a perfect textbook onset, just pain on the right side and vomiting. The pain can radiate.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hers started out as only lower right and not it's belly button over to lower right whe it is throbbing--when you press on it, it's just the spot by her hip bone.

Quoting Allisonc7910:

It is lower right, my bad. Start at the belly button an move a bit downward. If it gets more pronounced I would go to the ER they can do all that there.

Quoting BeAmour:

Lower right

Quoting Anonymous:

It is about 11/2 inch in from the top of the hip none towards the belly button--I don't know the quadrants-- would that be upper or lower?

Quoting Allisonc7910:

Appendix pain you will know. Pain is usually diffuse at first then localizes to the right upper quadrant of the stomach, not near the pelvis.
pinkysmommy720
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Cringed, but never screamed out in pain. According to the doctor, had we waited 3 more hours to get him there, it would have burst. Pain tolerance has a lot to do with it also.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right but he did cringe right? She said the pain started Sat night that means it would be very close to bursting. There is no way to hide that kind of pain. I made no sound when in labor with no meds. My appendix made me scream before bursting.

Quoting pinkysmommy720:

You would be surprised. My son had an appendix attack and he tried to make me think it didn't hurt as bad as it did even though he would cringe in pain if we pressed on it bc he didn't want to go to the ER.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right that's what I mean. It is far too painful for a child to minimize.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wasn't trying to say she was faking- I was trying to say she minimizes pain in front of others.

Quoting Anonymous:

Appendicitis pain is not something you can fake that you don't feel. especially a child.

Quoting Anonymous:

They did that today and while she didn't come off the table-she blocked the spot everytime the doc would go for it( or tried to)--she is scared of needles and won't tell a doc:nurse how bad something really hurts bc she thinks it will cause shot. I tried it tonite but she was not having pain in general.

Quoting BeAmour:

Push on where she has pain but don't tell her what you're looking for.

When you push on it, she may say a little ouch but when you release the pressure from pushing on it, if it's her appendix, she'll have a marked difference in pain and may scream or double over.

I'm still convinced she's passing a stone.

If it's gone from her flank and taking a downward course and now farther into her belly, it's moving down her narrowing urters and it'll get more painful as it's passing through smaller openings.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Well we should hear the results of the crp test this morn and it will give us am idea of what's else might be going on--if she has lots of inflammation markers, they are going to do an ultrasound to check the whole side of the stomach out.. She complained of some pain this morn but the ibuprofen I had given her helped. Still no fever or vomiting...sigh.. Idk!

Quoting pinkysmommy720:

Cringed, but never screamed out in pain. According to the doctor, had we waited 3 more hours to get him there, it would have burst. Pain tolerance has a lot to do with it also.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right but he did cringe right? She said the pain started Sat night that means it would be very close to bursting. There is no way to hide that kind of pain. I made no sound when in labor with no meds. My appendix made me scream before bursting.

Quoting pinkysmommy720:

You would be surprised. My son had an appendix attack and he tried to make me think it didn't hurt as bad as it did even though he would cringe in pain if we pressed on it bc he didn't want to go to the ER.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right that's what I mean. It is far too painful for a child to minimize.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wasn't trying to say she was faking- I was trying to say she minimizes pain in front of others.

Quoting Anonymous:

Appendicitis pain is not something you can fake that you don't feel. especially a child.

Quoting Anonymous:

They did that today and while she didn't come off the table-she blocked the spot everytime the doc would go for it( or tried to)--she is scared of needles and won't tell a doc:nurse how bad something really hurts bc she thinks it will cause shot. I tried it tonite but she was not having pain in general.

Quoting BeAmour:

Push on where she has pain but don't tell her what you're looking for.

When you push on it, she may say a little ouch but when you release the pressure from pushing on it, if it's her appendix, she'll have a marked difference in pain and may scream or double over.

I'm still convinced she's passing a stone.

If it's gone from her flank and taking a downward course and now farther into her belly, it's moving down her narrowing urters and it'll get more painful as it's passing through smaller openings.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN