Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I give my almost 4 yr old son meletonin at night

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies
Yes i do. he refuses to sleep in his bed ive tried everything. he is scared to go to sleep on his own. if i dont give it to him he is up until we go to bed then ill as all get out the next day. i give it to him, he is asleep by 9 gets a good nights sleep and is well rested. so give it to me am i the worst mom ever?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kerriebear007
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
VannaMae307
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM

You are not the worst mom ever. I would check with a pedi and make sure you are giving him a safe dose. My son had trouble sleeping through the artillery practices around here. He was waking up after having a scary dream, and he went an entire 24 hours without sleeping because he didn't want scary dreams again. I called his pedi and explained the situation, they told me the safe dose and I gave it to him because he needed to sleep, he was exhausted. That's the only time I've given it to him but he's alive still....no problems.

He was 3.5 when I did this.

strawberryLVR
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM

it's good stuff but not meant to be used EVERY night. just to help create better sleep patterns.

kdloves.
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Nope. There's nothing wrong with that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I work for a holistic pediatrician who prescribes melatonin for nightly usage to numerous patients.... So why are you saying it's not meant to be used every night? jw...

Quoting strawberryLVR:

it's good stuff but not meant to be used EVERY night. just to help create better sleep patterns.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM

We use melatonin for our DD, she suffers from insomnia. She cycles, we'll use it for 2 - 3 weeks or so and then take her off and she'll be good for a month or so.

We use it under a doctors supervision.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

pesha06
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM

my pediatrician recomends giving it ever night. my child has autism and cant go to sleep and stay alseep. sometimes it worksand sometimes it doesnt

stephiebugg
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:05 PM

No, my 5 year old daughter's pediatrician told me to give it to her so she would sleep. He told me to give her 3mg when we first started it around this time last year. It really helped, my daughter had night terrors, sleepwalking and was up 3-4 times a night, every night. It took her 3 hours to fall asleep once in bed. Her PreK teacher said it was obvious she wasn't sleeping enough and was having trouble focusing. After starting the melatonin she began to fall asleep quickly and she mostly stopped sleepwalking. She still gets up 1-2 times a night, but I can deal with that. This kid has NEVER STTN.
She's now down to only 1mg at night (I decided 3mg was a lot because 1mg worked for ME!) and she doesn't get it on weekends. We decided to give her weekends off the med. Sometimes on the weekends she'll ask for it if she's having a particularly rough time of trying to fall asleep, but usually she's content to lay in bed and maybe watch a movie (it is the weekend afterall, she can stay up a little later and watch TV in bed).
I hope at some point she learns to fall asleep quicker on her own. We might be stopping the melatonin in the summer to see if she can do it. So far, based on our weekend trials- no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

it doesnt work for me or my son.

i'll give it to him and hours later, he's still up. like tonight- laid down at 8... he was still up around 10:30 last i checked (its 11 right now).

me- i'll be up til who knows when. i might take a sleeping pill soon

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM
My pedi recommended it for my 4yo.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured