Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I sometimes envy single moms.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 103 Replies
1 mom liked this

Now, I want to start this by saying I know most single moms work very hard being the sole provider for their families and I know some don't have a father in the picture at all. I don't envy those situations. However, sometimes I wish I could catch a break.

I feel like dh and I did thing in the "right" order. We got married in 2007. Saved up and had ds in 2010. I never ask for babysitters. We've had maybe 5 date nights in the past 3 years. Our life completely revolves around ds's needs.

Ds is almost 3 and I've only spent 2 nights away from him his entire life. The first being an over night trip with my sister for her bachelorette party and the second being black Friday so I could get all of his Christmas presents. Dh has only spent one night away from him his entire life. We have never had a night alone since he was born. I envy moms who have an ex, or parent, grandparent who is willing and excited to keep their kids overnight. 

I desperately want to take a vacation with dh this year. We are taking ds on a 3 day trip this summer, but dh and I really need some alone time too. I have found a fabulous way to take a trip to Las Vegas. We would be getting 4 nights free at the New York, New York, 2 tickets to Zumanity, 2 tickets to Tournament of the Kings, a dinner for 2 at THE Steakhouse, $75 credit at the Sporting house, $100 credit for 9 Fine Irishmen, and a $50 credit for breakfast at Delights, all for free! We would be paying for airfare, transportation, a bus tour to the grand canyon, and a few lunches. All together the trip would be costing us less than $1,000. 

Unless something miraculous happens, we will not be able to take the trip because we have no family willing to help out with ds while we're gone. Now I know 4 days is quite a bit considering we've never really been away from him, but there are several family members I would completely trust to take care of him and that he would be comfortable staying with. I'm not even asking for 1 person to keep him all 4 nights, but still it's a no go. 

None of my friends have this problem and I can't help but be jealous. Most of them are single and can get a 1 night to 1 week break at the drop of the hat. I'm not trying to pawn him off, and I wouldn't leave if I didn't completely trust the caregivers we'd selected, but what do I have to do to get some alone time with dh? Does this make me selfish? 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audreesmama
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Oh my.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissMissfit
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:49 PM
6 moms liked this

Try having your child gone for 10 weeks at a time during the summer, and maybe you will appreciate what you have more. 

Aydans_Mommy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM
I'm a single mom and the only time I've been away from my son overnight is when I was in the hospital after a few of my surgeries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
time_warp
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Wow
jacandjay
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM
4 moms liked this
Hmmm i was a single mom for a long time with 2 children and i am remarried now and def prefer this over being a single parent... and no i couldnt just leave whenever i wanted, i was in school and working and the mother of a toddler and a newborn... be thankful for what you have...
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Why will your family not watch him for you?

EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:50 PM
Show me one single person that can take four days and I will get your point.
I'm jealous because I want every other weekend off. Lmao!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM
4 days is alot. Maybe only so 2? Someone willing to take your child for a shorter time. 2 days is better than 0.
jacandjay
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM
This is so very true... i hate it when he leaves :-(

Quoting MissMissfit:

Try having your child gone for 10 weeks at a time during the summer, and maybe you will appreciate what you have more. 

Darkangelpunk
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM
6 moms liked this
I don't get why u think single moms can do that stuff at the drop of a hat. Sometimes they work so hard they don't even get to see their kids. They have to be the sole provider and can't afford to take a week off.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)