Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

dentist wants to put my daughter under anesthesia

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this
My daughter is 5 and has some cavitys on her molars they want to do fillings but to do all of them would take 4 visits. They suggested putting her under and doing all of them at once. I don't want to put her under but what if she goes in and gets them done with the gas and is so scared she won't go back for the others? I don't want to make her scared of the dentist forever but I don't want to have her under anesthesia for 3 hrs to do some fillings. I just don't know what to do. Both ways are going to suck for her and me but I just can't decide what's best. Yes we brush and floss she just has bad teeth like me and no flouride in our water which probably doesn't help. What would you ladies do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd do them all at once. I would assumer her being awake and going back 4 times for fillings would scare her more than going to sleep one time.

mamalusbear
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I think I'd opt for the anesthesia...that way she's asleep and doesn't remember any of it.  I think that four visits and her being awake for the procedures would be a lot more difficult.  Have you talked to the pediatrician? Does he have any opinions on the subject?

Mommynwife26
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:26 AM
My SS got some filled last year after 2 tries with gas that made him violent....putting him under was the easiest and quickest way. It wasnt too bad 20min in and out took him about 30min to fully be awake.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sadiebug1228
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM
I'd do them all at once. It would be easier on not of u. And she wouldn't be scared she would just drift off to sleep and wake up and be fine.

I had to have my wisdom teeth plus the other day I had 2 molars pulled cause they broke and they put me to sleep for them. I definitely recommend it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Ask her dentist about a drug called halcyon(sp?) Its a sedative and it will make her think she's asleep but she wont be. I'm terrified of the dentist and I have to use it everytime. Just an idea though
karamille
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Whats the cost difference?  When my son injured his front teeth and was going to need a few root canals on them, it was going to cost $16,000 to have it done at hte hospital with general anethesia and we would be 20% of that OR.... we could have it done chairside with versed to make him woozy, laughing gas to make him calm, and numbing shots to feel no pain for $1000 and pay 20% of that.  So it was a no brainer to do chairside.  He was totally calm, relaxed and didn't care a bit what they were doing.  

Allebas
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I would definately go for having her asleep and get them ALL done in one visit! She won't be scared b/c she will be asleep, and you won't have to keep making trips to the dentist. My kids LOVE going to the dentist! My 7-year-old son and my 5-year-old DD both ask me constantly when I will be taking them to the dentist again! LOL!! LOL! My7-year-old DS says he likes the pretty dental assistants!! ROFL! ROFL!! YEP! Already checking out the girls!! TOO FUNNY!!

Jekasica
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM
She actually had her doctor app today and her dentist and the doctor filled out the report for her to get the anesthesia and didn't say anything bad about it. Gave us floruride drops to start putting in her drinks but... it just freaks me out. She had ear tubes when she was 2 and was only under for twenty min and she handled it fine but I was a mess... uhhh I'm just so sad I have to make this decision
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM
I say put her under. It will be much faster and alot less scary for her in the long run.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:29 AM

DS 3 has to have a few visits too. His dentist prescribes him a valium. I give it to him 30 min before appt, he goes in loopy, they do the gas, and it has worked out well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN