Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

K12 or Homeschooling?

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:35 AM
  • 91 Replies
My daughter is only 13 months old but I am still stressing whether or not we will send her to public school or home school her..I have heard about K12 online schooling..if I understand it correctly then it is like homeschooling but you're still apart of the public school system, right? Has anyone used that method? What do you recommend?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lovemyshadows
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:38 AM

BUMP

mandaday
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:38 AM
My ex's wife uses K12 for her son and says while it's not perfect, she likes it. I make my own curriculum for my boys, but am considering K12 for when they get into higher grades.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:55 AM
2 moms liked this
We do k12 and love it! You have a curriculum to follow but can add more info and projects of your own to do :)
paganmommy4
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:59 AM

My df's daughter is doing connections academy which is an online school and both or one of her parents logs on to see her homework and she calls the teacher once per week and every year she has to go the education department and be tested to make sure she's up to par with kids her age in the public school and meets state requirements. with those programs you agree to help them and be their support during all of this to make sure that they understand the requirements and fulfill their needs academically. K12 is online only but you get books sent home and complete things online

MisterandMe
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:01 AM
Thank you! Very helpful. :)

Quoting paganmommy4:

My df's daughter is doing connections academy which is an online school and both or one of her parents logs on to see her homework and she calls the teacher once per week and every year she has to go the education department and be tested to make sure she's up to par with kids her age in the public school and meets state requirements. with those programs you agree to help them and be their support during all of this to make sure that they understand the requirements and fulfill their needs academically. K12 is online only but you get books sent home and complete things online

RoseBlossom
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:08 AM
1 mom liked this

my friend does online homeschooling. she set up a little 'school station' in her room where there is a computer plus room to do all the assignments. its good becasue its one on one time with her daughter but with the structure of the pre made assignments

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM

K12 is currently under investigation in several states.  In GA they actually have until April 5 to provide proof that they are no longer violating federal law. If they are not complying with the federal laws, GA cyber academy will be shut down.

Also it (and other programs like it such as Connections Academy) really is more like public school in your home than actual homeschooling. It does not offer the flexibility that homeschooling does.

sha_lyn68
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Quoting paganmommy4:

That really depends on the state. In most states, the charter agreements with K12 and Connections Academy are pretty much identical. I would pretty much count on the fact that the same testing requirements apply to any virtual charter school in your state.

Lizardannie1966
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Our youngest as has been with CA for four years and we love it. :)

What are the federal laws that they're claiming that K12 is not following?

I've heard that K12 is actually more of a corporation that offers a curriculum and that some traditional public schools are now using the K12 curriculum. Not sure if this is true or not, however.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

K12 is currently under investigation in several states.  In GA they actually have until April 5 to provide proof that they are no longer violating federal law. If they are not complying with the federal laws, GA cyber academy will be shut down.

Also it (and other programs like it such as Connections Academy) really is more like public school in your home than actual homeschooling. It does not offer the flexibility that homeschooling does.

Moe1521
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM
Can you explain the flexibility thing please? I'm very curious about homeschooling or online schooling and would like the input.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN