Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my one year old hits me

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM
  • 61 Replies
He's 20 months old for those who may want to know.

So ds doesn't pickup these habits from I & dh bc we don't hit one another and ds is the only child so he doesn't have any siblings.

Ok, so ds sends the night over my MIL house every weekend (she lives 10 maybe 15 minutes away from us). Anywho my CIL (cousin in law) stays with my MIL with her 3 kids ages 4, 9 and 1. The first oldest two are very active somewhat bad kids, they yell @ MIL when CIL is gone, they scream, throw things break things and fight one another. Once their mom comes back they act like fuckin angles o_0

Like I said ds goes over his grandmas house every weekend and they're there hitting one another but my ds either just watches or play along. I check up on ds a few times a day while hes there and I ask MIL is he on his best behavior and she always says yes.

Fast Forward: yesterday I took ds to the market with me (normally I never take him) he's probably only be to the grocery store maybe 3 times ever (dh usely has him while I shop) so yesterday he tried grabbing something and I told him no, no so he hits maybe someone of a shovel o_0 so I redirect him so I said no once again then he did it again so I popped him on his had. @ him it's a didn't story bc I DON'T PLAY THAT! I refuse to put a child in a corner telling him "time out. Bs, ds gets popped right on his hand and he clearly understands. I'm the parent, you aren't going to act lik you have no home training in period. Now I don't pop him all the time, most times I redirect him but @ times I think those bad ass kids rub off on him. I cant stand bad kids

I know he'll pick up habits all though life but I don't like this one and sometimes he thinks it's funny lol most times I laugh but he has his seriou moments too, any advice?

Excuse the typos, misspelled words I am mobile so theres no going back fixing (so heads up spell police lol)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I am having a hitting problem with my ds 18 months. I am pro spanking, but I dont think hitting your kid, for hitting you, makes sense to a toddler. So far me yelling no, ouch, and redirecting him has worked.

Also, if your MIL house is causing these behavior problems, why keep sending him there?
BUFFIE.the.BODY
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Bump
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

grab his hands and look him in the eye. Tell him in a stern voice  "hands are for Helping and Hugging NEVER for hitting or hurting. Then ask him to hug you and show you how he uses his hands. Repeat this often to him. Ask him to repeat it. Ask you MIL to use this with him. And say it when  the cousins kids are acting up. He will catch on.

MaNdYbEaR2010
by *Manda* on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM
4 moms liked this
.... So you hit him, but you think your CIL taught him how to hit? That's nonsense.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM

First, popping him for hitting you is not a good idea. It is confusing to toddlers and doesn't work. Instead, try holding his hand and saying sternly "No hitting, ouch!" That is what worked for my son when he was one. It takes a bit of repeating, but it does work.

Also, if you know the problem is coming from your MIL's house, then stop sending him there. 

My son was hitting and he didn't ick it up from anyone, he just started doing it. I think a lot of toddlers do it.

Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM
He wouldnt be able to go back. I refuse to raise children that will grow up and act a fool. I stop baf habits as soon as I see them. I cant stand bad kids either
BUFFIE.the.BODY
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I don't know, most times they aren't there, most times they are. I'm perfectly comfortable with my MIL plus I can't hind and protect him from everything in life, he'll learn and I refuse to keep him from my MIL, she loves him to pieces and weekends is her and his time together and I wouldn't take that away.

Once he starts school a few years from now I know it will be bad kids there so I can't just keep changing schools

Quoting Anonymous:

I am having a hitting problem with my ds 18 months. I am pro spanking, but I dont think hitting your kid, for hitting you, makes sense to a toddler. So far me yelling no, ouch, and redirecting him has worked.

Also, if your MIL house is causing these behavior problems, why keep sending him there?
BUFFIE.the.BODY
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM
I love this: ) I will most definitely try. It hurts my feelings when he does this sometimes

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

grab his hands and look him in the eye. Tell him in a stern voice  "hands are for Helping and Hugging NEVER for hitting or hurting. Then ask him to hug you and show you how he uses his hands. Repeat this often to him. Ask him to repeat it. Ask you MIL to use this with him. And say it when  the cousins kids are acting up. He will catch on.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM
This. Except im not for spanking either. But hitting jim back just shows that s how u deal with problem s or things u dont like. Op there is a good book about hands being for hugging/helping. Say no ..thats mean and It hurts and move his hand away.
And seriously who is responsible for the kids when they are there? I dont leave my kids alone with my mil(two oldest) because she never watches them or disciplines them

Quoting Anonymous:

Jlpmmom
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM
2 moms liked this
My oldest went through the same thing at that age. Its an age thing, not necessarily someone teaching him to hit. The only thing that got my son out of it was hiring him back, not hard, just showing him that it wasn't nice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)