Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My children's school goes a lot farther than the "No peanut butter" rule

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 839 Replies
16 moms liked this

Their school rules are:

No peanut butter or nuts

no cookies

no chips

no prepackaged granola bars or breakfast bars

no soda

no juice

no candy

no "lunch-ables" lunches

no fruit roll ups

basically no dessert of any kind

At first I thought it would be hard but now I like it... they just don't get any junk food at school, I don't have to worry about them eating a bunch of M&Ms at recess and coming home all hyper...But they even have a guideline that foods like yogurt and such should be put in reusable containers because they try and have a trash free  lunch time.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2manydiapers
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM
32 moms liked this
The healthy movement is becoming big. Im happy about it.

Most aren't.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaJess9
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM
300 moms liked this

So, these rules apply to lunches you pack at home for your child?  That's a bit much IMO.  If I pack my child a healthy lunch and want to throw a cookie in there as a treat once in a while, that should be my decision as a parent, not the schools.  They are there to teach my child, not to tell me what I can and cannot feed my own child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM
20 moms liked this
I'd be annoyed. I send things like cookies made with oats and apple sauce that are far healthier than the sandwiches many parents send.
mrs.hartman12
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM
29 moms liked this

Agree! The government has no business dictating how we choose to raise our children, including feed them. But we homeschool so it cuts out the government having a say at all. 

Quoting MamaJess9:

So, these rules apply to lunches you pack at home for your child?  That's a bit much IMO.  If I pack my child a healthy lunch and want to throw a cookie in there as a treat once in a while, that should be my decision as a parent, not the schools.  They are there to teach my child, not to tell me what I can and cannot feed my own child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM
7 moms liked this

I think it is ridiculous! If I send the lunch, I will send what I want...I can understand the no nuts. I guess it is good that I homeschool.

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM
18 moms liked this
Yeah I wouldn't let them go to that school
My children I should not be told what I can and cannot feed them
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:10 PM
11 moms liked this

No nuts I always abide by because I don't want to hurt other children and my child can live without peanut butter,  but if I am making my child's lunch and I want to send the cookies I made from scratch or anything else I see fit I will!

audreesmama
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:10 PM
7 moms liked this
So, no junk food? Cool :-).
balagan_imma
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Our school doesn't go very far in food rules. They have 3. 1) All food brought in for whole class consumption must be prepackaged and Kosher. 2) The entire campus is dairy and/or vegan. 3) In the lower school kids with peanut butter or tree nuts must sit at the peanut butter tables.

I wish the school would go further in guiding families towards healthier eating, but knowing the school and the parents, I'm surprised that this private Jewish school is still Kosher.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Seems a bit excessive, but it is only one meal a day so I would suck it up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)