Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Verbal contract? Help *added*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
So my brother got an apartment with his crazy BM SHE took out a loan in HER name to cover first and last... She moved out, voluntarily took her name off the lease. Now she's DEMANDING they money from him. She claims he agreed to pay half(which he probably did) over text msg and wants to take him to small claims court.

Does she have a leg to stand on?

All the text said was "I owe you money" nothing about the loan at all
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
meaganmac
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this
If she has texts proving he said he would pay half, he's probably going to have to. But I kind of feel like she should get it all back anyways, she paid it so it was never his money to begin with. It would be pretty douchey of him to keep it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happy2bmom25
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM

judge judy would dismiss her.

another part of their "verbal contract" was that she would stay throughout the length of the lease. so maybe he could deduct 1/2 of first and last months rent from 1/2 of the remainder of the lease.

Dee0886
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM

If she still has that text then she'll probably get her way

Wife to an amazing, loving, and respectful man. Mommy to a handsome man who gets his kicks from making others smile, and a beautiful little girl with an old soul and nurturing spirit. Expecting in May.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Unless he uses the whole she took my phone and texted her self I agree

Quoting meaganmac:

If she has texts proving he said he would pay half, he's probably going to have to. But I kind of feel like she should get it all back anyways, she paid it so it was never his money to begin with. It would be pretty douchey of him to keep it.

Lalalie
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:32 PM

If she has proof, such as the text then she will have something to go off of.

If he agreed then why doesn't he own up to it and pay his half?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Did she live there?  If she lived there then she isn't owed her first months rent. 

The last month's rent is the landlord's obligation. The landlord is required to return her last month's deposit to her when he took her name off the lease.  The landlord is entitled to do an inspection of the property beforehand.  It's then the landlord's responsibility to collect a new "last month' deposit from your brother.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM

If she still has the texts, yes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)