Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should classrooms be pooling supplies together ?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 125 Replies

The amount of supplies that schools expect parents to get are a bit much.

Especially if the supplies that being purchased by a students parents are being shared by all. 

I think we all know that there is always 1 or more students who don't bring in the supplies .

Do you purchase all of the supplies requested ? Like the disinfectants , paper towels , 60 Ziploc bags  ( 30 gallon size , 30 quart size ) , tissues

Plus in my sons school they have a mandatory $ 5 to the school for a daily planner 

and $5 towards loose leaf and construction paper.

16 glue sticks ???? What are they , eating the glue ?!?!?!?!?    LOL

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jillbailey26
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Yep, I purchase everything.  Even the stuff that's not required, but suggested.  I am also more than happy to provide supplies for a child who can't afford to buy any.  I even buy extra stuff in the middle of the year when they run out.  Because they do run out.

They only ask for the mid-sized bottle of disinfectant because they don't like spreading germs.  The ziplock bags (30 gallon, 30 quart) is one box each.  They probably have projects or experiments they do with them.  Paper Towels are for cleaning up messes (ours asks for wipes).

The daily agenda/planner is something that gets filled out everyday.  The paper will also be used everyday.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:41 PM
4 moms liked this

Hey, these posts don't usually start till August!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM
This is why my kids will be homeschooled.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not my responsibility to care and provide for someone elses kids more than their own parents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I not only buy at the beginning of the year ( everything including optinal stuff) but I also ask at Xmas break if there is anything they are low on or on a teacher wishlist (like a microwave).  My parents are teachers and I have no qualms sucking up to them!  I know my child will not get special treatment but I also know they will know I am willing to help and will get called on to help.  

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:47 PM
No!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:48 PM
I always bought only what my kid needed to start off. All the extra crap, I asked about before I made the extra trip to the store.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Yes , that's usually when they start up. 

But even after  supplying all of this  the teacher ends up asking for more again during the year.  So it brings up the subject again .

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Hey, these posts don't usually start till August!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I don't think things should be shared.

Maybe once in a while but not as the normal routine.  We are providing for our child. We live well, but still on a budget. When my child needs school supplies , ok I'll get them. I just don't think I should be supplying them for the whole class. 

Especially since you get asked again during the school year for more stuff.

Diatech12
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I havent had to buy this stuff yet but will come august. Some of it I understand and some of it I dont. The ones dont are like cleaning supplies. I get why though, that the schools are not providing this stuff(or enough of) anymore, so its being asked of the parents and teachers.

When I was in HS and worked in the elemetary, the janitors closet was open to all class rooms with all the cleaning supplies in it, if construction paper was needed there were these HUGE rools on a moving stand that was used by all. Even in the HS, if a classroom needed papertowels or stuff like that, there was a big supply room with all that stuff. Not like bounty paper towels bought at walmart, but what the school had ordered industrial style. If we needed like a spray bottle and cleaner, it was there. But I realize that this stuff is obviously not being provided so I will help what I can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN