Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why is that it appears that with certain generations they all name their kids the same name? There are so many names out there... Why do we group up and name them same names?

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Replies (31-40):
MrsWhite101610
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM
I haven't found someone with dd's name and spelling. It's Raevyn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
morriganna
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

What's funny is when a name comes from nowhere and makes the top five, every mom thought they came up with it completely independently.  We are being subconciously influenced by media and society, steering us towards certain trends.  Though some purposely pick trendy names because popularity and fitting in is just that important to them (which I do admit has its benefits.)

cryssi_renee
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I picked out my sons name when I was 5 or 6 (so early 90's). His name is Jackson, I got it from Steel Magnolias. I didn't know anyone named Jackson when he was born. I now know 4 Jackson's born with in a month of him. If I had known it was so popular I might have picked another name.

DD is named Lily after her great grandmother. Again I had no clue it was so popular. 

Maybe if I got out more I would have known.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I picked gemma after findng that was the name of the most gorgeous actress ever lol gemma arterton(sp) I really liked it. I also have a gannon (exh grandfather ) and a gavril. Not popular

Quoting thetrollcat:

Im sorry but ya thats a good excuse to just randomly pick the name everyone else has *stares*

Quoting RiotousDigits:

because 5 minute old former fetuses don't have personalities.  you'd have to wait months, if not years, to discover their true personality.

Quoting thetrollcat:

why cant people name their kids based on personality, timing, naming after a long relative? Why go with the fashion bit???

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM

I like the idea we just call our kids thing one, two, three, four, five....

Quoting CV3:

I dont believe in naming a child until its born. I would have liked to wait longer deciding on my sons name but the hospital said I couldnt take him home until I named him. The commune I used to live in did not name thier children until 60 or 80 days had passed generally speaking.

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

imvanilla
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Both of my boys have traditional names.
ittyprincess604
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM
I love that name :) I considered it for this baby as middle name, but DH said noooo :(

Quoting Aleta775:

My dd's name is Dahlia Belle. It took me a very long time to come to that name. She is named after three people. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I don't know anyone named Hailey and the only Mason I know is 20.  Maybe they are just not popular in my area. 

Quoting mistie900:

My kids have popular names but I didn't choose the because they were, I chose them because I like them. I thought they were nice names. Their names are Hailey and Mason.

wulfeyes05
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM

We've got Christian and Benjamin...when we decide to have another baby and if it's a girl her name will be Claire and if it's a boy he'll have my grandpa's first name as his middle name lol. 

icn_mom
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM

my dd's name is Isabella.. I didnt do it because other people liked it, I find it to be very pretty.. her first and middle name together sounded very royal and everyone that knows her knows shes a princess :) "Isabella Josephine" :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)