Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why is that it appears that with certain generations they all name their kids the same name? There are so many names out there... Why do we group up and name them same names?

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Replies (41-50):
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM
We went with Kellian. I fell in love with the name as a teenager. It's Irish and I don't see it ever being popular. I really don't like popular names but didn't want something so off the wall either. It's also a tradition on my mothers side to have at least one name be Irish.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM
I named my kids names I liked.
KennyPooPoo22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Quoting CjEmmemommy:

Idk know. I didn't want a super common name for my kids. CJ is named after his dad, emmarie was my spin on plain Emma which hubby wanted (so glad we did something different) and Ethan which has also been my favorite name, his is more common but still nothing like the current Caden, aiden, Emma, Isabella situation currently happening,

Next girl we have I want to name Emery. Never heard anybody else with it so high five!
KennyPooPoo22
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Kennedy. It isn't super common but isnt crazy out there either.

mistie900
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM
They were both in the top 100 list for the year they were born. I actually know of three Hailey (same last name). One is a relative and the other is a friend from high schools daughter.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know anyone named Hailey and the only Mason I know is 20.  Maybe they are just not popular in my area. 

Quoting mistie900:

My kids have popular names but I didn't choose the because they were, I chose them because I like them. I thought they were nice names. Their names are Hailey and Mason.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM
I don't know what happened when I named both my daughters one I thought was an old name and I didn't know anyone with it the other I had never heard before but now they are names that are in the top 100, so there may not be many girls their age with the same name but there will be a lot a year-three years younger with the same name. I'm a trend setter I guess ;-)
hayliedlr
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Quoting thetrollcat:

why cant people name their kids based on personality, timing, naming after a long relative? Why go with the fashion bit???

I don't think my kids really follow those trends.  I picked names I liked that were some what after relatives.

Rosalee, Kylie, Haylie (I guess this name is 'in' but I have liked that name since I was 12, 22 years now lol) and I have an Alexander but that name is an old name I guess more traditional or common.

I do agree with you though.

twoblues
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Maybe a new "food trend" will become popular. Couples will start naming their kids Pizza, Lobster and Cool Whip.

I'm hungry.
RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I didn't pick names that everyone else has.  I picked names I hadn't heard on a person (that I know)  younger than 50.  My choices were far from random.

Quoting thetrollcat:

Im sorry but ya thats a good excuse to just randomly pick the name everyone else has *stares*

Quoting RiotousDigits:

because 5 minute old former fetuses don't have personalities.  you'd have to wait months, if not years, to discover their true personality.

Quoting thetrollcat:

why cant people name their kids based on personality, timing, naming after a long relative? Why go with the fashion bit???

CSMama3
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Same. I don't care if they are popular or not.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I named my kids names I liked.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)