Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Negligent Parents In Public

Posted by   + Show Post

I was at the park with my kids today (no surprise there!). They are three and almost two. This car pulls up and parks to let a kid out. This little boy wasn't in a car seat, and was no more than 3 or 4. The parents stayed in the car for a solid hour while he played, not even watching him. The poor kid was starving for attention, asking me to help him on the swing, constantly yelling for me to "look at me!" or "watch this!". 

I felt bad for him!! I mean, really? How hard is it to get OUT of your car and watch your child? 

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Replies (61-65):
IFartGlitter
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I seriously, seriously hope so... 

Quoting robibuni:

Yeah...well, I'm assuming she's losing her kids since she got arrested for domestic violence AND assault (on her MIL). Her mom has her oldest son, and my neighbor has her youngest son. She's even under a restraining order so this is me HOPING BEYOND HOPE that she's losing her kids because of all this.

Quoting IFartGlitter:

UGH! The GOOD news is, people who lose custody of their kids or are deemed unfit generally get subsequent children taken away too. So she may not have a chance to screw that child over at all... 

Quoting robibuni:

My neighbor (currently losing custody of her children, thankfully, because she beat the shit out of her husband) has two little boys and the youngest one is 4 months...the grandma takes care of the baby A TON because as she put it "I never know when's the last time I had his diaper changed when I come over. I never know how long he's just been laying in his crib or sitting in his swing and not being loved on."

That breaks my heart. I'm glad she's not getting her children because she doesn't deserve them. Unfortunately, she just found out she's pregnant again with number 3 (about a month along) and I just wish I understood what was going on in her mind. Seriously...WHY HAVE A DAMN KID IF YOU DON'T WANT TO TAKE CARE OF IT?!?!? 

/endrant.

Quoting IFartGlitter:

I treat the park like "me time". I take a book and stay nearby. I always put it down for pushes on the swing or whatever, and always have my eye on them. Usually if there's no other kids there, that's when they want to play with me more, and that's fine. 

I, like you, don't understand having children that you don't want to look after. It's heartbreaking. 

Quoting robibuni:

I don't see too much of it, luckily. 

I love taking my kids to the park, or for walks...if they ask me to play with them, I absolutely will, but usually if we get to the park, they wanna play with the kids there (understandably so).

Ultimately, I just don't understand having kids if you don't even want to be around them. It makes me sad :(

samyee33
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I see this a lot at my neighborhood park its really sad, one time a little boy about 5 years old came over and begged me to push him on the swing because his parents were all the way across the park not paying any attention to him and so of course I did push him, and then the mom yelled across the park (not even coming over) "leave my kid alone" are you freak in kidding me???? that was probably the most fun of her kid has had all year and she is yelling for me to stop pushing him ......honestly I was so pissed and sad for the little boy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:34 PM
Yeah I know. I can't stop thinking about it. The same guy a few minutes before he beat his kids asked my 16 year old if she new where to get some weed. That was real classy....

Quoting IFartGlitter:

Those poor babies :( 

Quoting circle_of_life:

The kids and I watched a little kid in the backseat of a car parked in front of us at walmart put a grocery sack over his head while his mom sat there texting paying absolutely no attention. I got out and tapped on her window. She snatched the bag off him and gave me a dirty look. Also we were at the laundromat washing some comforters in the giant washer and there were some trashy looking people there. They sent their two little girls to the car and I guess they were getting rowdy so they guy goes out there flings the door open and proceeds to beat the holy shit out them. I mean fists flying. I was shocked. Took down their plate number and called the cops.

JTE11
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Yes, I agree.  He told us he just turned four and he was a "big boy" and could use the slides by himself so that's how we knew how old he was. I felt so bad for the poor little guy, though., I didn't want him to pee his pants because I was too afraid to help. :(  I guess his parents dropped him off knowing the grandma was in a local building? I don't know-it was just weird. He could have just disappeared and nobody would have known what happened. He needed someone there to watch him. And, totally unrelated, I love your screen name.

Quoting IFartGlitter:

That's horrible! I've lifted kids up into the swings and stuff, but I'm uncomfortable doing even THAT. I can't imagine how you felt having to help him pee! I'd be SO worried about being charged with something. 

I can see leaving a child at the park if they are MUCH older. But toddlers and preschoolers, hell even most elementary schoolers, do NOT belong at a park unattended!

Quoting JTE11:

I live in a little rural town and we go to the next town over to use their playground and one day a car pulled up and left off a 4-year-old boy. He had a backpack, cowboy boots and a Woody (Toy Story) doll and he just walked over and started playing with my DD and talking to me. We were the only people there, DD and I, until he showed up.  At one point he came over to me and said he needed help going to the bathroom and I had no idea what to do. I had visions of getting charged with some kind of inappropriate behavior just for trying to be nice and help him but the poor kid had to pee and there was nobody else there. I took him over to the porta-potty and helped him open the door, and he couldn't get his pants down so I had to help him with that. When he was done I had to help him pull his pants back up, and then he went back to playing. Eventually his grandma came out of the township building down the road and sat on one of the benches and all I could think was what could have happened to that kid if I hadn't been there and it had been someone else who had other ideas of what to do with a little kid in a porta potty. Anything could have happened to him, but either the parents/grandparents didn't care or didn't think of those things. I was astounded but I shouldn't have been so surprised. Not everyone cares to watch their kids I suppose.

mylifemylove864
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:17 PM
I've done that but we were parked closer to the park than the benches are and we were facing the park. Dh and I were eating and I was nursing DD2.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)