Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cloth Diapers vs Disposable Diapers

Posted by   + Show Post
One year of each.

Uploaded with Imgupr

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Replies (31-40):
kcangel63
by Freebirther on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM
It's cheaper and easier. They are also WAY cute!

Quoting kels1023:

I don't know anything about cloth diapering other than the fact I think it's completely disgusting. But I'm always open to new things.

Why do you cloth diaper?
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM

you know, I totally agree, but I will readily admit that:

1. I'm too lazy to make the change (not the buying but maintaining and that stuff)

2. dh won't do cloth. he'd change them... but then he'd bring the diaper to me to do the rest.. so what's the point in asking him, kwim?

3. we have water delivery so.. we can't just do laundry. we have to space our laundry out by week-2 weeks. so I'd need what 8 ish diapers for 14 ish days so 112 cloth to work for our house.

4. the idea of running diapers through the washer grosses me out. yes, even with a sanitize cycle, and knowing that I wash vomit and the odd diarreah etc. its the thought of doing a load of diapers. makes no sense, but for me its one of those things.

but all in all I give major props for anyone who does. even if I don't :)

echupko
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:42 PM
We use cloth
JenB1983
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM
It's only 2-3 extra (half) loads a week here. Being a SAHM, it's really not a big deal.

Quoting Anonymous:

I won't lie...I'm too lazy for all that laundry.

momto2boys973
by Emerald Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't forget to add the water pollution, cost(and use) from cloth diapers. Do you know how much extra water a cloth diapered kid uses? Do you know the environmental impact of cotton production and processing?

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/10/07/nyregion/l-cloth-diapers-don-t-help-the-environment-783290.html

http://www.sustainer.org/dhm_archive/index.php?display_article=vn321diapersed
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Ill be using cloth for my second but I seriously just wanted to get used to the whole mommy thing for my first.
kels1023
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Where I live our water is flat rate $55 a month. So it actually might be quite cost effective for me. I'm still not sure how I feel about cloth diapering though. The thought of washing and reusing poopy diapers grosses me out :(

Quoting scribemommeg:

We are going to cloth diaper. Our choices are based on a lot of factors though, not just how many disposables would be used. Part of it is the money saving side of it. I know some don't agree and will say you spend more water. That isn't necessarly true. I mean if you only do one load of laundry a week, well then yes it will go up. If you already do a load a day then not so much. We also made the choice because of the allergens and what they can cause. I was highly allergic to disposables as a baby and have had several friends whose children are as well. We just felt it was better to avoid that issue than risk our child being in pain from a horrible reaction for the end result to be "yep their are allergic."

scribemommeg
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:47 PM

It's not for everyone. My DH and I have no problem with it. I was a CNA, so this is nothing LOL.

I think you have to have the mindset for it. It can be gross, but to me the disposable is gross lol

Quoting kels1023:

Where I live our water is flat rate $55 a month. So it actually might be quite cost effective for me. I'm still not sure how I feel about cloth diapering though. The thought of washing and reusing poopy diapers grosses me out :(

Quoting scribemommeg:

We are going to cloth diaper. Our choices are based on a lot of factors though, not just how many disposables would be used. Part of it is the money saving side of it. I know some don't agree and will say you spend more water. That isn't necessarly true. I mean if you only do one load of laundry a week, well then yes it will go up. If you already do a load a day then not so much. We also made the choice because of the allergens and what they can cause. I was highly allergic to disposables as a baby and have had several friends whose children are as well. We just felt it was better to avoid that issue than risk our child being in pain from a horrible reaction for the end result to be "yep their are allergic."

LadySlimm
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I <3 my cloth :)

Josie_P
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:50 PM
We so both. At home, cloth. Outside, disposable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN