Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cloth Diapers vs Disposable Diapers

Posted by   + Show Post
One year of each.

Uploaded with Imgupr

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Replies (41-50):
TeamTARDIS
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM
I use Target brand diapers and they work for me.
Jade89
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM
My baby is 2months... I just started cloth diapering this week! Smh... The day I bought them tho, my washer broke! Lol

I've been hand washing them:)
SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I cloth diapered my first two kids from birth to potty, but with my third, I am enjoying the luxury of disposables. No leaks, no rashes, no battling ammonia odors, no shopping around for special detergents.

Also, since when does it cost $1000/year to use disposables? I buy diapers on Amazon; with Subscribe and Save it works out to maybe $30/month for diapers and wipes, which is under $400/year.

NathansmomEmmie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM
I did cloth with my first two so I have nothing against it, but disposables are not $1000 for a year if you buy off brand. Tops, I pay $235 a year.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Yay cloth!!

angevil53
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I use both. It works for us.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Ya don't care will NEVER use cloth.  Disposables for all 4 of my kids.  I am a huge bargain shopper and have only spent $150 for Pampers diapers in 13mo's. 

SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Depending on the mineral content of your water, a diaper-friendly detergent may not be strong enough... but a stronger detergent can cause skin reactions from the enzymes. With my older two kids, I was constantly battling rashes, no matter how often I changed them or how often I stripped the diapers. So, when my third baby came along, once he started getting that tell-tale rash, I finally gave in and switched to disposables. Problem solved.

Quoting bowribbonmama:

I tried stripping them, did it numerous times actually. I also soaked them over night. Nothing seemed to help :(

Quoting kcangel63:

Mine did that too. What I had to do was strip them. Now, when a wash is coming up, I soak them overnight in the machine, put them through without soap until the first spin. Then I restart the wash with soap on a full wash. The stripping helped tons. I think they went through 3 full washes before I got all the buildup out. Now that I soak them overnight, they don't rash up anymore.

Quoting bowribbonmama:

Cloth makes my youngest break out in AWFUL rashes, even when she would get changed every hour. I still don't know what was causing it but ever since I switched to disposables the rashes have stopped.

It sucks because I LOVE cloth.

kcangel63
by Freebirther on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:13 PM
It only adds 1 wash every other day for me with 2 in diapers full time, and 1 extra at night.

Quoting Anonymous:

I won't lie...I'm too lazy for all that laundry.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Cloth diapering just isn't for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)