Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Could this legally happen?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Lets say a 17 year old girl got pregant with an `18 year old pot head. She decides to place the baby up for adoption, mostly because she wants her baby (a boy) to have a good father. It is very difficult for her but she knows it is best. So she tells the father her adoption plan. He goes along with it and agrees he will give up his rights so that the baby will get adopted. She finds a great wonderful couple for the baby. But, at the hospital, the birth dad tricks the birth mom. The birth mom signs the papers. Then the birth dad (the pothead) says he has changed his mind and wants to parent the child. But since the the birthmom already signed away her rights, she will have no rights to the baby and he was raise the baby himself as a single dad and a pothead. So he gets full custody of the baby, and she can never know her own child. I am wondering this because of the adoption case where the birth dad got custody at 22 months but now the birth mom has no legal rights to the child: http://abcnews.go.com/US/drill-sergeant-reunited-baby-mom-gave-adoption/story?id=18329713
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
unspecified42
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM
The birth mother can give up her rights and the father can retain rights and custody, yes. There is typically a waiting period and birth moms can't sign away rights in the hospital, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I'm not sure. I thought there was a three day Grace period after the mom signed, but I'm sure if the dad wants rights he can have the child.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM
As long as he signed no paperwork relinquishing his right I believe he is legal in what he did.
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:50 PM

idk, for a "pothead" though he was pretty smart.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:51 PM
This
But the bm can still back out after the papers are signed. There is a 30 day grace period. In my state anyway.

Quoting unspecified42:

The birth mother can give up her rights and the father can retain rights and custody, yes. There is typically a waiting period and birth moms can't sign away rights in the hospital, though.
angevil53
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Why is this an issue? Pot head moms have kids all the time. He'll get his rights revoked if he makes a mistake.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wymama610
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know about teenage pothead idiots, but your example is QUITE different from the true story you compared it to. That woman went to a state (Utah) where they DGAF about fathers rights, gave birth and put her and her HUSBANDS child up for adoption without his knowledge.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM

So, could a mom do this if she doesn't want to co-parent with a jerK?

Could she lie to a birth dad that she is giving the baby up to a millionaire family, get him to sign the papers, but then she "changes her mind", and keeps the baby but does NOT tell him. Then 5 years later say he finds out he can't get visitation since he signed those papers.

ncbirdie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Legally, yeah.  If the BM is that concerned about the child's welfare, she can always get up CPS's butt about it.

Cindy18
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Depends on the state and there is usually a grace period where either parent can change their mind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)