Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you send your child to a school where

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
2 moms liked this

Their race would make up 2% of the student body?

What if the biggest majority of the school was made up of ESL students?  

Lastly, what if the school constantly scored below state minimums on state tests?

Apparently, I am racist for not putting my child in this school.  I just prefer a better mix of students.  One where 72% of the school is not of one race and 65% are not ESL students. Also, I would prefer they at the very least meet state standards.

instead I pay a little more to live in a school district where there is no more than 37% of any race....ESL students are placed in a dual language class along with English speaking kids and they both learn a new language.  And the school is rated Exemplary. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with you and I don't think it's racist.

We moved out of the city when my son was a baby because the inner city schools would have had my son be the significant minority and the city school system is terrible. Less than 50% high school graduation rate. That was more concerning to me than race. Our school that he would have gone to would have been ESL and I didn't think it was fair that he would possibly be stifled by a language barrier with his classmates.

If it makes me racist to want the best education possible for my children, then so be it.We now live in one of the best school districts in NYS. ,
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM
My kids are half black...the school they go to has very few black students..

They also go out of district because the school down from us has a very high ESL kids...and my kids won't go there. They no longer separate those kids..they integrate them and its not fair to the rest...
FL2AK
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:01 AM
No I would not. My children will always go where I feel they will get the best education possible.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM
I probably wouldn't.
Kage336
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM
I say kudos to you for looking out for your child's academic well being.

DF and I are moving to a town with a strong school system with various extracurricular activities offered, despite both of our families' complaints that it's "too far away" (about a half hour). Our hometowns have mediocre schools with nothing offered except a few sports. My siblings have their children in the school we went to but I want more for my daughter than they can offer.

You have to do what's best for your child.
AntzMom24
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM

The race wouldn't matter to me at all. The scoring below state minimum on tests is what would make me say no to a house in that school district. 

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM
The race thing wouldn't bother me, but the ESL and low test scores would be a no-go.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM
I did one time. She was the only white kid in het class
tharealty2
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this

yes I would.  I was the minority at my school - not sure what percentage but I'm sure it was more than 2% - and I was blessed by that experience.  I can't say it was the best education in terms of academics - but it was very enriching in terms of the lifescope.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this
What the fuck is wrong with esl students?

Quoting Anonymous:

My kids are half black...the school they go to has very few black students..

They also go out of district because the school down from us has a very high ESL kids...and my kids won't go there. They no longer separate those kids..they integrate them and its not fair to the rest...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)