Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Thoughts on kids playing football.....ETA

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM
  • 34 Replies
Just trying to offer up something a little different on here!

What's your thoughts on young kids playing football? There have been many articles and stories about the dangers of it so just wondering if you would let your son (or even daughter) play football. If so at what age?

ETA...my son is about the start his 2nd year of tackle football. It started at age 7. I was nervous but we had zero injuries on our team all year. It is expensive ($300 to register, plus mouth guards, traveling to games, under armor, girdle, etc......). It's also time consuming.....4 days a week 2.5 hours a day of practice until school starts then it drops to 2/3 practices a week and a game on the weekend. I would never push him to do it....but he really wanted to (was literally counting down until he was going into 2nd grade). I guess it makes me feel better that he is a bigger kid. If he was a twig i would be much more hesitant! Just wanted to see what everybody thought of it!

Added pic of my football player on page 3!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BabyGsMommy11
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Husband and I are in agreement on this one. Our son will not be allowed to play football until he can fully understand the consequences for himself. No, we will not keep him in a bubble, but it's just one sport that will not be allowed.
harpsichord
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM

i guess if he wanted to. it would depend on his age.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this
If I had a son who wanted to play, I would let him. Hell, if my daughter wanted to play I would let her, assuming she gained enough weight to meet the requirement.
LucyHarper
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM

My kids play football. Not on a team, just with a bunch of kids in the neighborhood. It's just a fun sport, they make sure to keep safety in mind and the school football teams are as safe as possible. I would let them play on a team if they wanted.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM

My son played football for the city league for 2 years ages 12 and 13.  He loved it.  He wants to play for the high school team but they wont allow him since he in band, they wont let him do both so he has to choose. 

I think if the kids have good/caring/observant coaches then they should be fine.  I also think the earlier they start to play the better they will be, more opportunity for a scholarship if they want to continue it and less likelihood for injury if they are taught properly from the beginning. 

Kids are going to get hurt, roller skating, skate boarding, riding bikes, driving cars, etc....For those afraid of their kid getting hurt playing football are you just going to wrap them in bubble wrap? 

I am having a hard time accepting the fact that my son will be getting his drivers license next month.  I am scared to death he is going to get in a wreck.  I can't let my fears stop him from living.  Both of my kids have had stitches from bike wrecks, dd tore the ligaments in her knee  trying to hang upside down on the monkey bars at school and fell. 

There is risk with anything anyone does.  I think if it is something the child wants to try then go for it!!! 

mamalusbear
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I don't think I'd let my son play football....too much risk of a head injury.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM

My boys started playing at 5. They are now a sophmore and a 6th grader. They love it.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:08 AM
If i had a boy i would be proud to cheer him on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM

my son and daughter loved it. my dd is too small to play in high school so has taken up boxing instead. (weight limits)

with any luck the boy will get a scholarship to a small unknown university for ball. he's not quite good enough for an A1 college

meandhim
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:09 AM
My son will be in 1st grade next year and he is thrilled bc he will be able to play football. Though he will only be playing flag football..I don't think kids should play in pads and such until they are middle school age. My son is also in wrestling. It all teaches great skills and control.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)