Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teen shot and killed after entering wrong house...

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Jen
  • 311 Replies

((I just found this sad....  He shouldn't have snuck out, but its still sad))

A 16-year-old who lived in Loudoun County, Va., was shot and killed when he accidentally entered the wrong house.

Caleb Gordley, a popular athlete who had been living in a brick house with his parents and sister for about a year, sneaked out of his house to go to a party with friends after he'd been grounded for not cleaning his room.

When he returned around 2 a.m. he slipped into the house he thought was his. Friends said he had been drinking and mistook his neighbor’s similar house two doors down for his own and climbed in through the back window.

When the burglar alarm sounded, the homeowner treated Caleb as an intruder, and shot and killed him.

Caleb’s father, Shawn Gordley, told The Washington Post, “They have the exact same staircase as us, the exact same carpet. Caleb clearly thought he was in his own house.” He added, “He probably stumbled around and was just trying to go to his room.”

At Sterling Park High school in Sterling, Va., students mourned the loss of a talented athlete. The coach of the basketball team, Mike Koscinski, who had advanced Caleb to varsity this year, said of the junior, “He was the hype man. He got everyone hyped up before games.”

A statement from the family reads, “Between the darkness and him being under the influence of alcohol, his mistake turned into the ultimate tragedy.”

Police are continuing to investigate the shooting, but Virginia law gives “wide latitude to people who fear for their safety when someone breaks into their homes,” according to The Washington Post.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/teen-fatally-shot-mistakenly-walked-wrong-house-163650001.html

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mstricey
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM
5 moms liked this
I bet that homeowner feels horrible :-( .. There was someone on cafemom that this happened to also but they didn't kill him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lalalie
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM
8 moms liked this

That is tragic.

The person who shot him will always feel that guilt.

That family lost their son, who they can never get back... and may not even get justice for him because in this situation justice isn't really attainable. It is one of those 'shouldn't have happened, why did it happen?' kind of things, that doesn't even make sense. Not that crime really makes sense, but usually you have someone to hate while you're grieving. This situation doesn't really give that.

I get that people really have to be careful with all the crimes, but I wish that man hadn't shot to kill. This is so very sad. =/

CutieCrab
by Jen on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I agree...

Quoting Lalalie:

That is tragic.

That family lost their son, who they can never get back... and may not even get justice for him because in this situation justice isn't really attainable. It is one of those 'shouldn't have happened, why did it happen?' kind of things, that doesn't even make sense. Not that crime really makes sense, but usually you have someone to hate while you're grieving. This situation doesn't really give that.

I get that people really have to be careful with all the crimes, but I wish that man hadn't shot to kill. This is so very sad. =/

CutieCrab
by Jen on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM

I did not hear about that, that it happened to someone on CM...

Quoting mstricey:

I bet that homeowner feels horrible :-( .. There was someone on cafemom that this happened to also but they didn't kill him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:47 AM
6 moms liked this

I do not understand why he shot to kill?  Good luck living with yourself,wow.  Also, of course everyone was bashing the kid being drunk, whatever.  Teens don't always make the right decisions.  I was reading comments on fb, and some parents think their teens would NEVER drink, lol  delusional. Underage drinking, YES, does not mean he should have died.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:47 AM
26 moms liked this
Someone is coming into my house I am shooting to kill!

Quoting Lalalie:

That is tragic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:51 AM
44 moms liked this

Here is a 6 foot tal lman stumbling around in your house, having broken in the back window-the BURGLER alarm is going off, and the guy is STILL stumbling around. Your wife and kids are unstairs, and the guy is CLIMBING those stairs. You have no idea if he is armed, but his behavior in ignoring the alarm makes you think so...do you shoot to wound so he can then take HIS GUN out and kill you?

CutieCrab
by Jen on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:52 AM

I very much agree. I am sure the person that shot him feels guilty, if not then...  Wow, Idk what to say.

Quoting Anonymous:

I do not understand why he shot to kill?  Good luck living with yourself,wow.  Also, of course everyone was bashing the kid being drunk, whatever.  Teens don't always make the right decisions.  I was reading comments on fb, and some parents think their teens would NEVER drink, lol  delusional. Underage drinking, YES, does not mean he should have died.

mstricey
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM
Yea I dont remember who it was but it happened maybe a year ago. Guy was drunk and came into the wrong house, dogs cornered him and husband I believe confronted him with a gun but found out his friends dropped him off at the wrong house and he just came through the backdoor thinking it was his until he saw the dogs.

Quoting CutieCrab:

I did not hear about that, that it happened to someone on CM...

Quoting mstricey:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:54 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree.This situation is horrible and I feel for both families but if I'd thought it was an intruder in my home,I would have done the same.

Quoting Anonymous:

Someone is coming into my house I am shooting to kill!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)