Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my dd's school bus driver has diagnosed her dyslexic.....**edit***edit2 Talked to teacher

Posted by   + Show Post

so I am waiting with my kids for my dd's bus to come this morning in my van. I have to leave immediately after dd's bus comes to get ds to school on time. The bus comes and we are about to take off when my dd gets off the bus and tells me her bus driver wants to talk to me. I go over there and she proceeds to tell me that she has noticed Ivy is having great difficulty reading and because of that, she has placed her with an older child to sit with so the other kid can tutor my dd. She also said that Ivy is dyslexic and she has a friend that makes flash cards if I am interested. Funny thing tho, I just got Ivy's second trimester report card, which said she was reading above her grade level and the teacher is quite proud of her accomplishments. The teacher and I just had a talk a month ago about how Ivy just all of a sudden started reading and now she reads everything she can, the teacher was especially impressed how she sounds out 4 and 5 syllable words. The bus driver also told me she is making the girls write sentences on the rides to and from school and if they turn in a book report to her on Fridays they get to pick from a goodie bag. I am all for encouraging the girls to read and write, but I kind of feel she is over stepping the bounds of a bus driver. I told her I would talk to my dd's teacher about her reading, but should I mention to the principle about the sentences and book reports, and most importantly, the diagnosis?

***edit***   Ivy is just in Kindergarten. I home schooled her and her twin brother but I didnt feel comfortable after a year to have them try first grade. They are 7yrs old. She just clicked with the reading back in January. I spoke with her teacher at that time and she said that is how some of them do, it's like a lightbulb going off. My dd is not even close to dyslexic. What I dont get is why the bus driver thinks she is having so much trouble that she felt the need to talk to me about it, when I myself hear Ivy read every day and she has no difficulty at all. I can deal with her having books to read on the ride and offering the kids a prize if they give her a book report but seriously, if she is paying enough attention to my dd reading on a bus full of girls (she goes to an all girls school) how much attention is she paying to the road? I know just having my twins engaged in a lively conversation behind me it can be distracting. I am going to ask my dd how she feels about the "tutoring" and then shoot off an email to her teacher tomorrow. I will let you all know what she says, and thanks for the support and ideas on how to deal with this

***edit2...well, I talked to Ivy and the teacher... Ivy said it startedthe week before spring break (last week) when she brought her Backyardigan's book to school to read on the bus. She was having trouble seeing the words because the bus was so bumpy. She said the bus driver called her out on it and embarrassed her by making her sit with the other girl. I asked her why she didnt tell me and she said she was too embarrassed..

Talked to teacher this morning. She was totally floored by this and said Ivy was no way near dyslexic and was in fact her top reader in the class. She said that Ivy scores 100% every day in comprehension and often helps others that are struggling with phonics. She said she is doing great in her other subjects as well, and if the year wasnt so close to being over she would see about moving her to First grade. She mentioned that if I was willing, and worked with her over the summer that she could recommend they test her before school starts to see if they can put her in second grade

As for the bus driver, I am going to talk to her Monday and let her know I talked to Ivy's teacher and she is just fine. I am also going to ask her to not single Ivy out with the tutoring anymore as she does not need it and it embarrasses her.

Thanks for all the ideas and support you guys have given in this post :)

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
While I agree the driver is over stepping, I would ask how long this set up has been going on. It could be that this bus driver taught your DD to be a confident reader and you're just finding out.
bear.katten
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I would! She has no business telling you or your DD she is dislexic! I wouldnt make a huge deal about it (since I doubt they'll do anything anyway!) but I'd mention it..
Lol and I'm a bitch so I'd be telling the bus driver to stick to what she knows!!

Quoting shivasgirl:

lol, I know, I just dont know if I should report it... I mean it's good that she is encouraging the girls to read and write, but giving homework and making diagnosis?

Quoting bear.katten:

Thinkin' they can teach because they're a BUS DRIVER n shit!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Wow that is a hard one, especially thinking she can diagnose your child.

Pnukey
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't be making my dd do bus driver homework. That's weird.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:55 AM

well the thing is that the bus driver is complaining about Ivy's ability, when her teacher is impressed. Ivy was right there when the driver told me she is dyslexic and has trouble reading. I can only imaging that would be confusing to my dd as she gets nothing but positive feedback from me and her teacher

Quoting Anonymous:

While I agree the driver is over stepping, I would ask how long this set up has been going on. It could be that this bus driver taught your DD to be a confident reader and you're just finding out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Just a thought, do think your daughter started reading better because of the bus driver??
shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:56 AM

lol, yeah, we're not going to be doing book reports for the bus driver

Quoting Pnukey:

Yeah, I wouldn't be making my dd do bus driver homework. That's weird.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:58 AM

not sure, but the bus driver is the only one that seems unsatisfied with Ivy's progress and I am really uncomfortable with her telling me my daughter is behind and dyslexic when her teacher is happy with her progress and has said she is reading above her grade level

Quoting Anonymous:

Just a thought, do think your daughter started reading better because of the bus driver??

lkane81
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Well she is a bus.driver not a teacher or doc. Shr.only see.the kid on the bus and has no.clue where.she reallu is.acedemicaly. im all for reading but for her to.say that? I would be distrubed and i would talk to the principle.
Does the bu driver help at all at the school like an assistant or something? If not how in the heck would she know that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
joyfullem
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Just food for thought how old is the bus driver?  I know a good amount of people in this area start driving a bus when they retire.  It has great benifits, you work only a few hours a day and you have summers off.   Maybe she/he was a teacher and retired and started driving a bus?  Or maybe the ride is boring and they notice way too much.  No the driver should not require the children to do anything more than stay seated but before you complain and potentially hurt their job think about an alternative.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN