Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my dd's school bus driver has diagnosed her dyslexic.....**edit***edit2 Talked to teacher

Posted by   + Show Post

so I am waiting with my kids for my dd's bus to come this morning in my van. I have to leave immediately after dd's bus comes to get ds to school on time. The bus comes and we are about to take off when my dd gets off the bus and tells me her bus driver wants to talk to me. I go over there and she proceeds to tell me that she has noticed Ivy is having great difficulty reading and because of that, she has placed her with an older child to sit with so the other kid can tutor my dd. She also said that Ivy is dyslexic and she has a friend that makes flash cards if I am interested. Funny thing tho, I just got Ivy's second trimester report card, which said she was reading above her grade level and the teacher is quite proud of her accomplishments. The teacher and I just had a talk a month ago about how Ivy just all of a sudden started reading and now she reads everything she can, the teacher was especially impressed how she sounds out 4 and 5 syllable words. The bus driver also told me she is making the girls write sentences on the rides to and from school and if they turn in a book report to her on Fridays they get to pick from a goodie bag. I am all for encouraging the girls to read and write, but I kind of feel she is over stepping the bounds of a bus driver. I told her I would talk to my dd's teacher about her reading, but should I mention to the principle about the sentences and book reports, and most importantly, the diagnosis?

***edit***   Ivy is just in Kindergarten. I home schooled her and her twin brother but I didnt feel comfortable after a year to have them try first grade. They are 7yrs old. She just clicked with the reading back in January. I spoke with her teacher at that time and she said that is how some of them do, it's like a lightbulb going off. My dd is not even close to dyslexic. What I dont get is why the bus driver thinks she is having so much trouble that she felt the need to talk to me about it, when I myself hear Ivy read every day and she has no difficulty at all. I can deal with her having books to read on the ride and offering the kids a prize if they give her a book report but seriously, if she is paying enough attention to my dd reading on a bus full of girls (she goes to an all girls school) how much attention is she paying to the road? I know just having my twins engaged in a lively conversation behind me it can be distracting. I am going to ask my dd how she feels about the "tutoring" and then shoot off an email to her teacher tomorrow. I will let you all know what she says, and thanks for the support and ideas on how to deal with this

***edit2...well, I talked to Ivy and the teacher... Ivy said it startedthe week before spring break (last week) when she brought her Backyardigan's book to school to read on the bus. She was having trouble seeing the words because the bus was so bumpy. She said the bus driver called her out on it and embarrassed her by making her sit with the other girl. I asked her why she didnt tell me and she said she was too embarrassed..

Talked to teacher this morning. She was totally floored by this and said Ivy was no way near dyslexic and was in fact her top reader in the class. She said that Ivy scores 100% every day in comprehension and often helps others that are struggling with phonics. She said she is doing great in her other subjects as well, and if the year wasnt so close to being over she would see about moving her to First grade. She mentioned that if I was willing, and worked with her over the summer that she could recommend they test her before school starts to see if they can put her in second grade

As for the bus driver, I am going to talk to her Monday and let her know I talked to Ivy's teacher and she is just fine. I am also going to ask her to not single Ivy out with the tutoring anymore as she does not need it and it embarrasses her.

Thanks for all the ideas and support you guys have given in this post :)

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Replies (21-30):
sampson200
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I would have told bus driver to F off and that she has no right to order my child to do thse things as well as give her some bull shit diagnoses. I would also call the transportation and report her.  

Mothers like you terrify me.

And not in a respectful way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I would mention it to them.  The bus driver probably has no education to diagnose anything and is just trying to push her friends "flash card" company.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I know, she is older, and we are in Florida so most of the bus drivers are retirees. I dont want to jeopardize anyones livelihood, but I really dont like someone telling me my kid is dyslexic and behind when she obviously isnt. 

Quoting joyfullem:

Just food for thought how old is the bus driver?  I know a good amount of people in this area start driving a bus when they retire.  It has great benifits, you work only a few hours a day and you have summers off.   Maybe she/he was a teacher and retired and started driving a bus?  Or maybe the ride is boring and they notice way too much.  No the driver should not require the children to do anything more than stay seated but before you complain and potentially hurt their job think about an alternative.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM
The bus driver has no right to try to diagnoses your DD, that we agree about. My point was that your DD may be reading above grade level now because of what she is learning on the bus. Find out more before you go nuclear on the driver.

Quoting shivasgirl:

well the thing is that the bus driver is complaining about Ivy's ability, when her teacher is impressed. Ivy was right there when the driver told me she is dyslexic and has trouble reading. I can only imaging that would be confusing to my dd as she gets nothing but positive feedback from me and her teacher

Quoting Anonymous:

While I agree the driver is over stepping, I would ask how long this set up has been going on. It could be that this bus driver taught your DD to be a confident reader and you're just finding out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:03 AM
That is not the bus drivers place to diagnose your child or to assign work for her. You need to call the transportation department & talk to a supervisor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Why because I'm not going to have my kid take orders from some person that doesn't know anything? I wouldn't have actually cussed at him nor would I have got into a big yelling match. That's what I think in my head but then calmly tell him/her that they are wrong and to stop trying to parent my child. And I would report them. So what part scares you?

Quoting sampson200:

Quoting Anonymous:

I would have told bus driver to F off and that she has no right to order my child to do thse things as well as give her some bull shit diagnoses. I would also call the transportation and report her.  

Mothers like you terrify me.

And not in a respectful way.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I agree, I dont want her to get into trouble or lose her job. I just really dont know how to go about talking to her teacher without saying, "The bus driver said...." lol, kwim?

Quoting Anonymous:

The bus driver has no right to try to diagnoses your DD, that we agree about. My point was that your DD may be reading above grade level now because of what she is learning on the bus. Find out more before you go nuclear on the driver.

Quoting shivasgirl:

well the thing is that the bus driver is complaining about Ivy's ability, when her teacher is impressed. Ivy was right there when the driver told me she is dyslexic and has trouble reading. I can only imaging that would be confusing to my dd as she gets nothing but positive feedback from me and her teacher

Quoting Anonymous:

While I agree the driver is over stepping, I would ask how long this set up has been going on. It could be that this bus driver taught your DD to be a confident reader and you're just finding out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM

First I wouldn't think it was the bus drivers place to make children write while on the bus,  that is the first place she is overstepping,  second I would be concerned that she is watching the children and how they read rather than paying attention to driving the bus,  third she is also overstepping by trying to diagnose things like that she isn't qualified.  The drivers job is to get the kids safely from point A to point B,  I would be highly annoyed by all of this and I would talk to the principal!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this

She should not be diagnosing your child. I would not report her. If having the children read keep them cool on the bus then I wouldn't worry about it. I would stick with what my kids pediatrician says. I would go with pediatrician over teacher. I am sorry but I don't totally trust teachers either.

And for the record everyone who drives a bus is not a dummie. Their are people with degrees driiving the bus. People tell on people so much now-a-days.Try driving a bus of noisy bratty no listening ass kids. If she could even get the kids to open a book then she must have a way with kids. two words bus drivers love is like commanding a dog, sit and shut up. If it wasn't wrong I am sure they would add shut the f up.

Quoting shivasgirl:

so I am waiting with my kids for my dd's bus to come this morning in my van. I have to leave immediately after dd's bus comes to get ds to school on time. The bus comes and we are about to take off when my dd gets off the bus and tells me her bus driver wants to talk to me. I go over there and she proceeds to tell me that she has noticed Ivy is having great difficulty reading and because of that, she has placed her with an older child to sit with so the other kid can tutor my dd. She also said that Ivy is dyslexic and she has a friend that makes flash cards if I am interested. Funny thing tho, I just got Ivy's second trimester report card, which said she was reading above her grade level and the teacher is quite proud of her accomplishments. The teacher and I just had a talk a month ago about how Ivy just all of a sudden started reading and now she reads everything she can, the teacher was especially impressed how she sounds out 4 and 5 syllable words. The bus driver also told me she is making the girls write sentences on the rides to and from school and if they turn in a book report to her on Fridays they get to pick from a goodie bag. I am all for encouraging the girls to read and write, but I kind of feel she is over stepping the bounds of a bus driver. I told her I would talk to my dd's teacher about her reading, but should I mention to the principle about the sentences and book reports, and most importantly, the diagnosis?

IUND
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I wouldn't be offended, she might have been trying to help.  She could be dyslexic...I am (diagnosed when I was in 3rd grade) and I can recognize the signs in people.  For the record, just because you are dyslexic does not mean you can't read well.  I have always been a voracious reader and have read above my grade level since teh very beginning.  Dyslexia is an umbrella term..there are forms of it...I have dyscalculia...I flip numbers.  When I get tired, I will flip letters when I write but I very rarely have trouble reading. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN