Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Early Admission to Kindergarten - Do they have to know how to read already? UPDATE

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 50 Replies

We have started the process of getting DSD into Kindergarten as she misses the cut off by 2 weeks. We were pretty confident that she would get in, until someone told me that they have to know how to read to be able to get in. Do you know if this is true?

UPDATE: Ok thank you everyone for you replies. I checked and she doesnt have to know how to read. And for those of you who asked, it is allowed in my county. There is a 2 month "grace period" if their birthday is after the cutoff date to apply for early admission.

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I don't believe it's true. None of my kids have gone into kindergarten knowing how to read. My 2nd dd missed the cut off by 8 days and they wouldn't allow her early admission. It irritated me. She was definitely ready.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cadditalbrat
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM
my son knows how to spell and read his name, and the numbers 1~10. Other then that we can't and we go get his registered for kindergarten on Friday. They give you a list of things the prefer them to know by the time they get in school but I don't think they have to know. I would call the school she will be attending and ask them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Call your district and ask. Are you sure she will get in? Our district makes no exceptions.
IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Not here. They teach them to read here. And it doesn't really take them long to learn it either....lol. It's surprising. My Kindergartner is now taking 1st grade spelling tests and reading first grade level books.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I don't know about the reading thing but for her to know her ABC'S is helful as well as tieing her shoes.

nsparky1964
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:54 AM
In our area, they need to know simple words..no, dog,run etc..they have to know the alphabet, to count to I think 50, their home number and address, how to tie shoes, color recognition, able to do some fine mother skill stuff like standing on one foot...
SoltaniMommy
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM

This was a question I had in another post, and a teacher suggested the Common Core Standards catalog for your area.  It will clearly define your question for you.

krissy920
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM

it may be different depending on the state or county you are in. My son is in  kindergarden now, he and 2 other children were the only ones who went in reading.

Hot_Badonkadonk
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:00 AM

I am not sure about early admission, but I don't believe so. I mean kindergarten is meant to learn the basics, not alreay know how to! 

Lottie925
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:01 AM
The pre screening for of age kids does not require reading. Things they tested for here.
Letter recognition. How high can they count. Body part recognition and what each body part is for. This is my mouth, I use it to talk/ eat etc. write name. Knows phone number and home address.
Fairly basic stuff.

Most public kindergartens spend a good amount of time dedicated to getting children to read, so it seems ridiculous to require a child to read when that's what they are there to do. Yes, some kids go in with basic reading skills but by mid year most kids are on the same page with some just more advanced in reading.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)