Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Early Admission to Kindergarten - Do they have to know how to read already? UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

We have started the process of getting DSD into Kindergarten as she misses the cut off by 2 weeks. We were pretty confident that she would get in, until someone told me that they have to know how to read to be able to get in. Do you know if this is true?

UPDATE: Ok thank you everyone for you replies. I checked and she doesnt have to know how to read. And for those of you who asked, it is allowed in my county. There is a 2 month "grace period" if their birthday is after the cutoff date to apply for early admission.

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Very few children start kindergarten already able to read. However, very few school districts make exceptions to their cut-off dates either. The ones that do will probably have a teacher or principal interview your daughter to see if she is ready by their standards (your opinion will have no bearing on their decision).

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Our girl's did, but it wasn't required. I have seen a lot of children left behind though because they didn't know how.
TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I know my county there's no exception. The child has to be 5 by Sept 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Simple-Beauty
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Same here. 

Quoting TaralynnStewart:

I know my county there's no exception. The child has to be 5 by Sept 2.

amiesmomma
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

earlky admission to kindergarten is not just about reading readiness.  I wouldn't recommend it because devlopmental differences (social, educational, gross and fine motor) will challenge your child really until 4th grade or so.  Let the little one be home for another year.

lauren.m
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Here this is what they need to know.
Recognize and write all of these
first and last name
Alphabet upper and lower case
Numbers 1-20
Address
Phone number
Birthday
Recognize and say these
Shapes
Colors
Days of week
Pnukey
by Jenn on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Each district gets to make that determination. You have to call the district office and ask what their requirements are. Early entry to kindergarten is usually a mistake. The age cut-off is there for a reason. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM
My DD will start K in the fall and she can count to 100, recognize read and write the alphabet, numbers up to ten, all the basic colors, months, days of the week, and some sight words. She was in prek and these are what they taught her to prepare her for k. She can also tie her shoes, write her name, address, phone number and birthday. She know her parents full names as well.
mistie900
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Not here. They don't have to. Half the kids in my dds class couldn't even write their names yet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
do11face
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM

My son was almost 6 when he started and he did not know how to read yet.

That is part of what they taught (are teaching) him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)