Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Early Admission to Kindergarten - Do they have to know how to read already? UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

We have started the process of getting DSD into Kindergarten as she misses the cut off by 2 weeks. We were pretty confident that she would get in, until someone told me that they have to know how to read to be able to get in. Do you know if this is true?

UPDATE: Ok thank you everyone for you replies. I checked and she doesnt have to know how to read. And for those of you who asked, it is allowed in my county. There is a 2 month "grace period" if their birthday is after the cutoff date to apply for early admission.

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Replies (21-30):
ZsMommy
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I don't think so...It helps,but they teach sight words in kindergarten.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:06 AM

My kids started early, but both were going to gifted private schools and could read well by three.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:08 AM

What the what? No, they don't have to know how to read. It depends on the school. The school I sent my son to had them doing spelling words in pre-k but that is because it was private. Most times reading is not the requirement.

do11face
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Quoting lauren.m:

Here this is what they need to know.
Recognize and write all of these
first and last name
Alphabet upper and lower case
Numbers 1-20
Address
Phone number
Birthday
Recognize and say these
Shapes
Colors
Days of week

lol, I guess I suck because my son didn't know most of this when he started. His school didn't have any requirements in starting, though.
I mean, I tried in vain to teach him most of those things but he resisted most of it. He knows it all now. I've realized he just learns better in a group setting. He is doing wonderfully in kindergarten.

curlycupcake
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:09 AM
It's different in every district. My dd missed kinder cutoff by two weeks last year. In order to be accepted into kinder early she had to pass a test administered to third graders by 70%. A ridiculous rule that forced us into a private pre k program for yet another year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom4awesomekids
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM

No not here.

Greenstone920
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM

In the town we used to live in, they made it very difficult to get in early - children applying for early admission were given an IQ test in April and, at 4 1/2 years old, needed to have the skills of children who were currently in Kindergarten, including being able to dictate a sentence (write down the sentence on paper as someone speaks it).  But, I suppose that's part of the reason why the district was nationally ranked, and this elementary school was a national Blue Ribbon school... 

Anyway, good luck, but I wouldn't get your hopes too high.

ProudMomma1022
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Ds is going in this year and he knows basic words and some harder ones hes been reading 'hop on pop' for a week. He will be 6 in october and i wanted to get him in last year but held off because i didnt want him to struggle socially even though he knew how to write his name could count to 20 with no help knew his abc knows his address and dh and my first names, can speak very well.
They have cut offs for a reason wait another year and if she shows signs that she could move up a grade later do it that way. Let her be home one more year....whats it going to hurt?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LaughingTattoo
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I know in our school system they have to be able to recognize at least 20 words

Melbornj
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM

They should know all letters and sounds, and how to read three letter words.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)