Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Early Admission to Kindergarten - Do they have to know how to read already? UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

We have started the process of getting DSD into Kindergarten as she misses the cut off by 2 weeks. We were pretty confident that she would get in, until someone told me that they have to know how to read to be able to get in. Do you know if this is true?

UPDATE: Ok thank you everyone for you replies. I checked and she doesnt have to know how to read. And for those of you who asked, it is allowed in my county. There is a 2 month "grace period" if their birthday is after the cutoff date to apply for early admission.

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:13 AM

why do you want her in early?  are you aware of the disadvantages that brings?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Idk why people push so hard for kids to start school early. Maybe SD is smart enough but is she emotionally ready? In speaking with a friend who is a kindergarten teacher, she said there is a world of difference in kids who are 4 turning 5 and kids who are 5 turning 6. I'm glad my kids birthdays fall where it isn't an issue, April and May.
lauren.m
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Quoting do11face:

Lol i suck too. My older 2 went into kinder not knowing any of this. I decided to put my younger 2 in prek this year and this is what the teachers told me they need to know for kindergarten. Im sure most of the kids dont know it unless they went to prek. No big deal its not like they can refuse public school to a school age kid.
do11face
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Quoting lauren.m:

Quoting do11face:

Lol i suck too. My older 2 went into kinder not knowing any of this. I decided to put my younger 2 in prek this year and this is what the teachers told me they need to know for kindergarten. Im sure most of the kids dont know it unless they went to prek. No big deal its not like they can refuse public school to a school age kid.

Honestly, I think most of them don't know most of that since it has been part of their curriculum since the beginning. Eh, it's all learned now and he is doing great. He's never struggled with the work. So, in the end that's all that really matters. I know they told me they aren't required to know anything upon entering kindergarten at orientation. Obviously my son knew his colors, shapes, alphabet and things like that, but he struggled with writing mostly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Check with your district.  Both of my children knew how to read simple books before entering kinder.  Our district did not have any exceptions.  I feel your pain because my son missed the cutoff by 2.5 weeks.  He is one of the oldest in his class.

ETA: Although he was academically ready, I don't think he would have been mature enough to start kinder a year early.

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:37 AM

no.

KanPsMommy
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Lord if my school district requires what all of you say my DD will never start school. She is stubborn unless she's in a group setting. I put her in pre-k in Decemeber (they finally had an opening) and since then she's taken off. I'm hoping that by the end of the school year she'll be ready to start kindergarten but I don't think our school district requires anything to start except being 5 by Sept 16 with no exceptions.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM
You don't have to know how to read before you get in but by the time kindergarten finishes you have to read in order to get promoted to first grade.
AleaKat
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM
That's what they teach in kindergarten. What's the point if they know already...? Lol
That's just silly
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:40 AM

IDK, in Michigan the deadline is the deadline. Even one day past it and you wait till next year

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN