Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Early Admission to Kindergarten - Do they have to know how to read already? UPDATE

Posted by   + Show Post

We have started the process of getting DSD into Kindergarten as she misses the cut off by 2 weeks. We were pretty confident that she would get in, until someone told me that they have to know how to read to be able to get in. Do you know if this is true?

UPDATE: Ok thank you everyone for you replies. I checked and she doesnt have to know how to read. And for those of you who asked, it is allowed in my county. There is a 2 month "grace period" if their birthday is after the cutoff date to apply for early admission.

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Replies (41-50):
AntzMom24
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Depends on the school district. When I switched my oldest from one district to another he was almost denied because he couldn't read yet. After a couple months of extra tutoring and a LOT of flash cards and Cars books at home (only ones that would hold his interest), he was where he needed to be. 

WeddingBelles
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

why do you want her in early?  are you aware of the disadvantages that brings?

She only misses it by 11 days. She is way more mature than most 4 year olds. She would rather play with the older kids at the park than with the ones her age. 2 of my sisters had to wait a year as they both missed the cut off date and they hate it. They both hang out with kids older than them and wish they would have not had to wait.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Is it even an option in your state, because it isnt here
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WeddingBelles
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Quoting ProudMomma1022:

Ds is going in this year and he knows basic words and some harder ones hes been reading 'hop on pop' for a week. He will be 6 in october and i wanted to get him in last year but held off because i didnt want him to struggle socially even though he knew how to write his name could count to 20 with no help knew his abc knows his address and dh and my first names, can speak very well.
They have cut offs for a reason wait another year and if she shows signs that she could move up a grade later do it that way. Let her be home one more year....whats it going to hurt?

She only misses the cutoff by 11 days. She is so ready to go to school, she is way more mature than most 4 year olds. She prefers older kids to ones her own age.

WeddingBelles
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Is it even an option in your state, because it isnt here

Yes I already checked. The cutoff is August 2nd, but you can apply for early admission unless their birthday is after October 1st.

MilkLover0203
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM
No, I just did assessment yesterday with my son. They just had him write his name, check if be knew his letters and numbers and basic things like that. My son that's already in Kindergarten learned to read while in Kindergarten.

Quoting WeddingBelles:

We have started the process of getting DSD into Kindergarten as she misses the cut off by 2 weeks. We were pretty confident that she would get in, until someone told me that they have to know how to read to be able to get in. Do you know if this is true?

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM
To each their own. My ds made the cutoff by 4 days and we opted to wait him out a year
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I am a former K teacher and NO, they don't need to know how to read.  I used to administer the K screenings and the test was very simple.    I am not a fan of allowing children to enter k early though.  I found the older children in the class did better( I taught for 20 yrs)

HotMichMomma
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM
OT but I find it hard to find shoes that even tie anymore. My 4 year old DS doesn't have small feet wears an 11 and I swear I can't find shoes with laces

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know about the reading thing but for her to know her ABC'S is helful as well as tieing her shoes.

ProudMomma1022
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Ok i guess i see your point there.

Quoting WeddingBelles:

Quoting ProudMomma1022:

Ds is going in this year and he knows basic words and some harder ones hes been reading 'hop on pop' for a week. He will be 6 in october and i wanted to get him in last year but held off because i didnt want him to struggle socially even though he knew how to write his name could count to 20 with no help knew his abc knows his address and dh and my first names, can speak very well.
They have cut offs for a reason wait another year and if she shows signs that she could move up a grade later do it that way. Let her be home one more year....whats it going to hurt?

She only misses the cutoff by 11 days. She is so ready to go to school, she is way more mature than most 4 year olds. She prefers older kids to ones her own age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN