Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I gave my four year old a weave

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: When do you think it is okay to give your daughter a weave?

Options:

4-8

8-10

10-13

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 81

View Results

My four year old daughter has very thin and short hair...its just growing very slow. So I sewed a weave into her head. Now she has long beautiful hair and she loves it.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Replies (11-20):
AdoptingMommy
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I dont see a issue. As a parent you make the call & do not need validation.
I have a african american dd and she will be 3 when we do her first for my sil's wedding. She has very very think super tight curls and I feel sewing in a weave (not a big one) into her braids will be less harmful then a flat iron or other things the salon offered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessimicuh
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM
This is absolutely crazy..

You're teaching her bad at a young age. She's always going to think she's got to improve her body to satisfy you and others.. Smh. Poor daughter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jacsmama022
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Exactly. Even sewn in, it will make it even thinner and you're just setting her up for disaster. If you keep putting it in her hair, she'll end up with a part that's 2 inches wide and some seriously damaged hair.

Quoting ChloeDolce1:

You are destroying her hair that young? If her hair is already thin why are you risking making it thinner and weaker by seeing extensions? I'm sorry but that's a bit crazy to me.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rosemagic01
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Why can't people just be happy with what they have. I don't even think adults need weaves much less a CHILD. Its stupid unnecessary and FAKE. 

_ClearFruit_
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
She's too young. Adults with weaves have damaged hair. If her hair is thin, it'll grow in time. What's the rush. Let her hair breath. Smh
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:48 AM
I think my only issue with it is that it damages the hair.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry. I think it's ridiculous. She has "very thin short hair" because she's supposed to- it's just the way it is. Weaves are heavy on an adult, why would you put one on a child? If worn too often and too tight her real hair will pull out.

I just don't get it...

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:51 AM

She's only 4 years old.  Sorry, but that's borderline abuse.

Very young children shouldn't wear hair weaves. Young children are still developing and this includes their hairline. If heavy extensions are placed around a delicate hairline, they can pull this hair out and leave lasting damage.

Katrina316
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Pic or it didn't happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katielovesyou21
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:52 AM

i dont have weave or anything but i dont see a problem with it. She may even think its dressing up and stuff. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)