Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tax Dollars and Food Stamps

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM
  • 90 Replies

I really wish people would EDUCATE themselves on where their tax dollars go instead of continually spouting off ignorant bullshit like "I get to tell you what to buy b/c that's MY tax money you are spending.

Is it really? Just how much of your money goes to food stamps? 

Using the chart below and a dollar, let's look at it.

20 cent goes to social security
20 cent goes to national defense
21 cent goes to health care
13 cent goes to "safety net" programs that does include food stamps
06 cent goes to interest on the national debt

Okay, that 13 CENT is divided among the safety net programs which include but are not limited to: 
--EIC
--SSI for the elderly and disabled
--unemployment insurance
--
food stamps
--school meals
--low-income housing assistance
--child-care assistance
--assistance in meeting home energy bills
--various other programs such as those that aid abused and neglected children. 

Basically you are bitching and whining about PENNIES!! Less than pennies actually!!

Instead of bitching and whining about LESS THAN A PENNY of your tax dollars, how about bitching about and trying to get something done about the fraud that is poisioning the system.

ETA:

OMFG!! Okay, I really didn't think I had to use bright colored crayons. YES, the chart say 13% but I said let's use the chart and A DOLLAR!!!! In other words, divide the dollar into CENTS to match the PERCENTAGES!!

Holy Fucking Hell!! I really didn't think it was THAT hard to understand!! Apparently I was wrong.

Safety net programs: About 13 percent of the federal budget in 2011, or $466 billion, went to support programs that provide aid (other than health insurance or Social Security benefits) to individuals and families facing hardship. Spending on safety net programs declined in both nominal and real terms between 2010 and 2011 as the economy continued to improve and initiatives funded by the 2009 Recovery Act began to expire. 

These programs include: the refundable portion of the earned-income and child tax credits, which assist low- and moderate-income working families through the tax code; programs that provide cash payments to eligible individuals or households, including Supplemental Security Income for the elderly or disabled poor and unemployment insurance; various forms of in-kind assistance for low-income families and individuals, including food stamps, school meals, low-income housing assistance, child-care assistance, and assistance in meeting home energy bills; and various other programs such as those that aid abused and neglected children

Such programs keep millions of people out of poverty each year. A Center analysis shows that government safety net programs kept some 25 million people out of poverty in 2010. Without any government income assistance, either from safety net programs or other income supports like Social Security, the poverty rate would have been nearly double in 2010 (28.6 rather than 15.5 percent).

Information can be found on page: http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1258

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:33 AM

:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

i think you mean PERcent not cents, idjit

Bertha21
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM
2 moms liked this

If it were pennies wouldn't people be getting only pennies a month in FS? It adds up doesn't it?

PS I'm not against FS for those who truly need it, but am against those who think they can sit on their ass and do nothing all day because the government will support them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Okay then
RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:38 AM
6 moms liked this
Been saying this forever. They'll argue until they're blue in the face no matter what you say or how you say it. If it only costs me a few cents then ill gladly give it to those that are less fortunate. I give way more than that to support prisons and the gov't, so ill definitely give it to some ppl that can't afford to feed their kids or aren't able to work.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mommyfinnell
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Pennies add up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

No. I meant CENTS. Jeez, I didn't think it was that hard to understand. Maybe I should have used smaller words and brighter crayons for you. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

then that doesnt make any CENTS because everyones paycheck is different.

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

No. I meant CENTS. Jeez, I didn't think it was that hard to understand. Maybe I should have used smaller words and brighter crayons for you. 

Quoting Anonymous:

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Pennies spread over thousands of dollars add up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN