Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do normal 5 year olds still throw Tantrums?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 92 Replies
I am seriously asking? My sister and I disagree on the answer...we both have five year olds. Mine is a girl...she is the youngest of five. My sisters is a boy he is the middle child. We went to the museum on Saturday and played for about two hours. When it was time to eat the kids wanted to go to the gift shop and we told them no. My DD said " Ok Mommy but maybe next time can we go?" I said we will have to decide that the next time we come. No big deal we start walking away. My nephew starts jumping up and down and screaming that he wanted to look at the toys my sister repeatedly said no but he would not get off the floor so she said " Fine we will go look but we are not getting anything!" My DD and I waited outside and after 15 min my sis and nephew came back out with a bag of candy. She hands one to my DD also. I told her she just reinforced her sons tantrums and the next time he will do the same thing. She disagree's and says that he was just tired and that it is normal behaviour for their age....What do you think?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM
B
Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I think that by then they're too old to be throwing tantrums. However, some of them do.

SpnFulOfSugar
by Emerald Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Yes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM
I have never allowed any of children to throw tantrums , so no. For us that is unacceptable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleaKat
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM
He throws little fits when he is tired hell pout and cross his arms but no full on tantrums.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:13 PM

She gives in to it, so yes he will throw a fit. It is not normal if you correct the behavior nd don't give in. Kids do have bad days sometimeswhen they will act up, but if my kids behaved like that there is no way they would get anything special.

Daph2387
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Kids throw tantrums at 14 and 15, so nope not to young.
Mcelly
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
I don't think so, but I haven't gotten there yet.
GirlWSemiAuto
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM
3 moms liked this
Under stress, sure. Sometimes life is still overwhelming when you're five.

Eta - giving in to the tantrums reinforces them, but even the best behaved child with a consistent parent can have a rough moment.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM

This exactly.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

I have never allowed any of children to throw tantrums , so no. For us that is unacceptable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)