Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What would be your next step in this SAHM/Job scenario?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies

Your Husband/SO dies suddenly. You were a SAHM but need work. Family is giving you 2 yrs to get a job, get a place. Problem is that you haven't worked for over 3 yrs. You have work experience but it's pretty much 3 years old. You are earnestly looking for work, but no one is calling for interviews after 4 months. All you have right now is a high school diploma and going to college is NOT going to work, because your kids need to eat now and College doesn't pay a salary unless you're on staff. What would be your plan B if this were you in this scenario?

ETA: This is a hypothetical situation. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Start looking in other areas where more jobs may be.

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Go into jobs and fill out applications. I would also dress in interview attire while filling out applications.

I would go to nursing homes first. They always seem to be hiring.

We have great life insurance so I haven't really thought about it.

I would do anything I had to to feed my kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
audreesmama
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Serving.
PISCIS29
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Start looking for ANY job at his point even if it means I have to work in the cornfields or picking asparagus or apples. I would do WTE I needed to to give my kids a good healthy happy chance at life. Anything short of being illegal
Mom2KIL
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Already have a bachelors degree and a ton of experience. I try to be involved and volunteer for references,etc. life insurance is a must in a SAHM situation. If I were in this exact predicament, I would see what type of community college certificate I could get and what would pay enough and do it!
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I have a masters degree, that isn't a situation for me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM

That's what hypothetical means. It's a hypothetical situation. Of course this situation is unique. This is why I said what IF this were you. I didn't ask "could this be you" etc.. I asked what WOULD you do IF it were you.

Quoting wkukid:

I have a masters degree, that isn't a situation for me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM

thanks for this answer. I don't think some are answering this question hypothetically.

Quoting PISCIS29:

Start looking for ANY job at his point even if it means I have to work in the cornfields or picking asparagus or apples. I would do WTE I needed to to give my kids a good healthy happy chance at life. Anything short of being illegal

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Why is your family giving you 2 years? It does not sound like they are, if you have to feed your kids now. What happened to your life insurance? That's why you take out policies, to help the spouse get back on his or her feet. My dh even has a policy on me, and I am a SAHM.

If this is a true case, I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain of losing my dh.

At this point, you need to tell everyone you know that you need a job. Networking is the best way to find a job, not random interviews.

ryansmommy07
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM
I've worked in accounting for 10 years and as a translator plus money in savings. Im sure I'd find a job quickly
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)