Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

would this hurt your feelings? *PIC* PG 4

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 75 Replies
My bff is a cake maker, she does it for a living. I asked her to make my ds bday cake for April. It's a pretty extravagant cake. She said she would have to charge me but would take off some. I said ok and she gave me a price. I said ok, since I have no idea what it should cost. I thought it was a lil high. So yesterday I walked into some random bakery jus to get a price quote. For the same cake, its a 1/3 of her price!! Honestly I'm kind of hurt :( I've got to tell her not to make it. Dh said I can blame it on him so she won't be offended.

The cake is Dr seuss. It has a lot of detail, I wanted to incorporate a lot a different characters in it. I will put a pic of it in replys. I took the same picture to the bakery, so she saw the same cake they did.I wanted it small, just for the kids, as we are having a simpler cake and cupcakes for everyone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audreesmama
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM
4 moms liked this
Small bakeries and people like that are more expensive. She is still spending HER time and HER money buying materials and ingredients. Doesn't she deserve to be compensated?

She does it for a living, which means she's likely agreed to do your son's cake instead of a customer who would pay full price. She does this to support her family. Why do you feel entitled to get it so cheap?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LawdHaveMercy
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Of course. She hasn't started at all so she's not out anything yet. I am just not seeing why it was going to be so much. It's a small cake. Will feed about 15. The bakery said 40 and she wanted 130$. I had no idea the cost of cakes so I said yes. Also it was a cake place, only cake n cupcakes, not a bakery, like I said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM
$130?!?!? For a cake that will feed 15??? Yeah, I would be hiring the other place instead. That is ridiculous!

Quoting LawdHaveMercy:

Of course. She hasn't started at all so she's not out anything yet. I am just not seeing why it was going to be so much. It's a small cake. Will feed about 15. The bakery said 40 and she wanted 130$. I had no idea the cost of cakes so I said yes. Also it was a cake place, only cake n cupcakes, not a bakery, like I said.
two4one
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Oh wow, that is A LOT! More than a wedding cake for some peope. Definately tell her not to do the cake. Bakeries will cost less because they get their supplies wholesale but dude, not that much less.

Quoting LawdHaveMercy:

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM
That's nuts.

Quoting LawdHaveMercy:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Is that for the exact same cake or is she doing special hand work with icing or fondant?
I looked into a 3d type of fondant cake before and they are pretty pricey.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
$40 is extremely cheap for what you called an extravagant cake. I'd bet the quality of the ingredients that they are using is below what she'd be using, not to mention they may have a supplier that offers them a discount for materials. Let's stay the materials are costing her $40. You'd be paying her say $90 for her time. How many hours does it take to make a make...IDK. Just tell her the truth, that you found a cake a lot cheaper and it helps the budget and be done with it. No I would not be offended, but if I though her prices were too high I wouldn't ask her to make another cake.
Quoting LawdHaveMercy:

Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Yikes that is really high.
KGreen75
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I am also a cake decorater/baker...I'm interested in seeing this cake and what she was going to charge you.

My cakes start at $3.50 per serving and that is just for a basic cake, most cakes are around $4.50 per serving.

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Wow that is messed up
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)