Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I got a divorce and I have no money, please send me some now

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
Well, not me but my cousin. I recently got a letter from a cousin telling all of us about another cousin that got divorced and is struggling financially. She asked for a small amount but did imply that she would like us to send more(it was just the way it was worded.) This letter also went to my sister(who nearly lost her home recently) and to another cousin who lives in an uheated home. They are not in the financial situation to pay out to anyone, not even a little. My side of the family is very upset with this letter, because we have all been there, yet never opened our hands out. Some of us have not seen this couisin in 20 yrs either(the one that got divorced). My dh has been furloughed and that is after a two year pay freeze, but I did send a small amount because I feel sorry for her. What do you think? Do you think the letter was tacky? Would you have sent money? Do you think my family has a right to be upset? My divorced cousin knows this letter was sent out, if that makes a difference. I just want other opinions. Thanks
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Pnukey
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:54 PM

It's very tacky. I would not have sent any money.

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

That is wrong of her and I would not send her money. Yes I feel sorry she has no money. But this is not the way to do it. To me it sounds like she just wants hand outs.

MaMa.Lu
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM

As I am close with my family and most of my cousins and I hang out regularly, I would give what I could. Of course because we're close - they wouldn't need to send a letter. 

My immediate family isn't but the rest of my family are pretty well off so anytime a family member has been in need - They've always come together and helped out. That's what being family means. To us anyway.

Most "American" families aren't like like this. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM
I would have been upset by the way it was went about. Imo, she shoukd have been the one to ask for the money if she needed it. Also, there was really no need to send out a letter to several people at once.. I find that kinda odd. Its like shes just flat out begging, ya know? And if I had the money, then yes I would still send some to help out. I would hope she would call and thank me for the help I could give though since she couldnt even call to ask for help herself.
cRystienah
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM
This.

Quoting Raeann11:

That is wrong of her and I would not send her money. Yes I feel sorry she has no money. But this is not the way to do it. To me it sounds like she just wants hand outs.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I don't think you can get more tackier than that. I would have not sent any money at all.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)