Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

how did you tell your kids about death(please, non religious solutions)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
My daughter is 3, very smart and very sensitive.... But this post isn't about her. At least, not exactly. My MIL is not long from this world, and I don't know how to tell my daughter about death, how to explain it without scaring her. Because of our radically different religions(Wiccan and Presbyterian) we have raised her agnostic, which means Heaven is out as an answer(hence why I'm seeking non religious solutions, not trying to start anything I swear!).
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SunshineBird
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

We are not religious so when the topic came up with dd(5) I simply told her that when someone or something dies their body stops working. She's a very logical child so when I explained that the heart stops pumping blood and the brain stops telling the rest of the body what to do, that's when we die. I also told her that she has a very long life ahead of her. 

JNLmomme09
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Idk were not religious either but just explained that it was just their time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HipLikeJunk
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I explained it to my five year old as a circle of life thing, when we die our bodies go in the ground and help the grass grow, which the animals eat, etc and so forth. She was pretty cool with that explanation. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM
She didn't have a problem with where the soul, for lack of better word, went?

Quoting SunshineBird:

We are not religious so when the topic came up with dd(5) I simply told her that when someone or something dies their body stops working. She's a very logical child so when I explained that the heart stops pumping blood and the brain stops telling the rest of the body what to do, that's when we die. I also told her that she has a very long life ahead of her. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:18 PM
If you want her to know the truth but don't want to expose her to heaven and hell tell her when we die we go in the ground or incinerator. Anything else will be a lie.
SunshineBird
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM

She hasn't gotten to that yet. She accepted that death is when the body stops working and that it will be a long time before she has to worry about this happening to her. For the rest of the talk, where souls come in, I'm glad I've got a little more time to work with. I'm hoping that she'll be a little more understanding of intangible things by the time she brings it up. Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

She didn't have a problem with where the soul, for lack of better word, went?

Quoting SunshineBird:

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this

We live a faith based life, so I have no answer for you, good luck!

MrsApple
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:23 PM

That's pretty much how I've explained it to our 6 yr old.I believe we are reincarnated when we die so I've explained my belief to her but she also knows that some people believe we got to Heaven when we die,and ect...She's heard several beliefs.She's cool with it all.I hope it helps her,already having a sort of understanding about it,when she loses a grandparent which hopefully won't be until she's much,much older.It has helped her when I talk to her about her grandfather that passes years before she was born.

Quoting HipLikeJunk:

I explained it to my five year old as a circle of life thing, when we die our bodies go in the ground and help the grass grow, which the animals eat, etc and so forth. She was pretty cool with that explanation. 

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

My son's fish died recently. We're not religious, and we're agnostic, or I am. My husband is athiest. My son is only two, so he didn't really get that his fishy just stopped being alive. He kept asking about it because it wasn't satisfactory for him. So I finally sat him down and explained that when things get very old, their body stops working. It can't move and they basically go to sleep. He then very assertively asked me if after George Fish died, he got to play some more, and I didn't have the heart to tell him no. So now my son thinks that when things die, their body goes to sleep for a while until it's fluched down the toilet, but then they get to go to the park and go down the slide. He was adamant that George Fish was playing on the slide. So I let it be. He's only 2.

HipLikeJunk
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM

That is so adorable!

Quoting ImNotKarl:

My son's fish died recently. We're not religious, and we're agnostic, or I am. My husband is athiest. My son is only two, so he didn't really get that his fishy just stopped being alive. He kept asking about it because it wasn't satisfactory for him. So I finally sat him down and explained that when things get very old, their body stops working. It can't move and they basically go to sleep. He then very assertively asked me if after George Fish died, he got to play some more, and I didn't have the heart to tell him no. So now my son thinks that when things die, their body goes to sleep for a while until it's fluched down the toilet, but then they get to go to the park and go down the slide. He was adamant that George Fish was playing on the slide. So I let it be. He's only 2.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN