Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im dissapointed in the ethnic mix at my sons new school

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 149 Replies
At his current school there is wonderful diversity. White, black, Hispanic, Asian, Indian ... his new school is OVERWHELMINGLY Hispanic. Out of 535 kids only 17 are black and 35 are white. We are mixed with a whole bunch of stuff including Hispanic, but I'd like more diversity. We can't afford private school this year :-(

There's my confession
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:31 PM

i dont' blame you

EAzizM
by Erica on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM
ok...?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
That's racist
thickmamaof2
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't blame you
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM
2 moms liked this

That sucks. I like diversity too but where I live is sooooo white. My son's school is probably 90% white (including us) I wish we had more diversity too.

Luna091306
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:42 PM

That's how many of the schools around here are now. Not so much in my town but to the north of us where my stepkids go. I went on a field trip with one of my ss' and was shocked the majority of his class was Hispanic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I am guessing the area you live in is largely hispanic. Schools don't get to pick and choose who goes there its who lives in the district
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I know how you feel.  My kids school is predominantly East Indian.  My kids are excluded from any outside school activities because their parents do not want to mix with "outsiders".  Sometimes the kids speak their own language or  talk about movies, activities and things and say "oh you don't know what we are talking about.  It's Indian stuff".  Yup, I totally get it. 

HyrulianHeroine
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:42 PM
i also like diversity. I am native american and dh us Puerto Rican we gotta have some whites in our life lol. don't. know why but I guess its the diversity in the cultures that makes it more worthwhile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:43 PM
7 moms liked this

Does it really matter?? As long as he is getting an education and not being bullied or anyone is being racist. Thats all that should matter. I would be more concern about my child getting a good education then the race of the other students they go to school with!! JMO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured