Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

karate and special needs child

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM
  • 3 Replies
My four year old and his brother recently joined karate. My four year old has been diagnosed as mentally challenged. I did not let the instructors know.
The first two classes he did good. They helped him quite a bit and he was happy. The last two classes he just hasnt been into it. He gets fusturated bc he gets off balance super easily. He did not do anything besides run around today...The other parents are noticing he is slightly different.
My question to you all is should I tell them? Do I HAVE to? Nobody knows except close family, doctors and his teachers. I thought this socialization would be good for him but he is in his own little world most of the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ladysamanda
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM
.....who lives in a pineapple under the sea..........
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM
You don't have to tell them if you don't feel comfortable. You do not owe them an explanation. I would tell the instructors though. It might help them with teaching him if they understood him better.
beachbabies6
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM

My 7 yr old is autistic and takes karate , he loves it the instructors know and will work with him a little more so he can keep up with the class , it has really helped his balance , coordination , and even self control and self esteem , he doesn't stay to himself so much anymore and try's to participate more often

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)