Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My baby has sores... *Update*

Posted by   + Show Post

On his hands.. I apologize for the crappy picture but its the best I could get! The only way I can think of to describe how they look is when you get a blister and it pops, they're just little circular raw pieces :-(

He doesnt seem to be too bothered by them but he did flinch a couple of times when I went to clean them off (they had some hair stuck to them from being on the floor)..

He is almost 7 1/2 months and just started "crawling" yesterday.. Lol by crawling I mean he drags his little body across the floor.

Did your baby get these when he/she started crawling? I'm afraid of them getting dirty and maybe infected by crawling around on the floor.. Should I try and get a bandaid to stay on??

Update: There are no sores on his feet or in his mouth. His temp is 99.5° (rectal) but he's had an ear infection so that is actually lower than it has been in the past week.. He has been on Amoxiciline (sp?) for about 5 days now. My apartnent floors are all carpet by the way...

And for those of you saying hand, foot and mouth: What will the pedi do?? The link someone provided says the is no treatment or vaccine. I will have to take him no matter what because he has eye surgery tomorrow and I'm sure this is something they'd like to know before putting him under! I'm just curious as to what the pedi can even do foe him...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:40 AM

How do people get infected with Coxsackie virus?

Infection usually is spread by fecal-oral contamination, although occasionally the virus is spread by droplets expelled by infected individuals. Items like utensils, diaper-changing tables, and toys that come in contact with body fluids that contain the virus may also transmit them to other individuals. Although people of any age, including adults, can get infected, the majority of patients identified with Coxsackie infection are children. Pregnant women can pass Coxsackie virus to their newborns, which may cause serious problems for the newborn, so pregnant women need to notify their obstetrician if they exhibit symptoms of the infection, especially if they are near their delivery date.

mariesmama
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

perhaps he has rugburn?

newmom3917
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Id definitely get him checked for hand foot & mouth.. my little brother got it.. he didnt get many sores in his mouth that we could see, he did say his mouth hurt though. His hands & feet got it worse, sores in between his fingers and toes, his fingernails even started falling off! But it only lasted a a few days or so.. it took longer for his nails to grow back though obviously.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:42 AM

rugburn causes two blisters on the hands?

Quoting mariesmama:

perhaps he has rugburn?

bear.katten
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:42 AM
I just noticed them this morning..

Quoting Anonymous:

how long have they been there?

Quoting bear.katten:

He has no sores anywhere else. Just 2 on the one hand..

Quoting Anonymous:

looks like hand foot and mouth disease...did you check her mouth for sores too?  btw, it's a virus, and nothing you can do about it either...

mom2many747
by Momma Duck on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
It sounds to me like rug burn. My DD got it when she was a baby bc we had carpet. I put mittens on her lol it looks silly but it kept her hands booboo free.
Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

It could be coxsackie, it could be fifth disease.  It could also be just from crawling.  Keep an eye on the sores, and if they get worse or seem to spread, go to the pediatrician.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:47 AM

hmmmm.....i 'd keep an eye on her, and if no more break out today, or she's not acting sick, then i'd rule out hand foot and mouth virus...usually, when my kids had it, they would start refusing to eat first, then the blisters appeared on the hands and in the mouth

Quoting bear.katten:

I just noticed them this morning..

Quoting Anonymous:

how long have they been there?

Quoting bear.katten:

He has no sores anywhere else. Just 2 on the one hand..

Quoting Anonymous:

looks like hand foot and mouth disease...did you check her mouth for sores too?  btw, it's a virus, and nothing you can do about it either...

mom2many747
by Momma Duck on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this
It absolutely can. All burns cause blisters including rug burn but usually they are popped from the friction. In her original post it says they look like two popped blisters. And just to put it out there, my oldest DD got coxsackie once and it looked like little red dots, not blisters.

Quoting Anonymous:

rugburn causes two blisters on the hands?

Quoting mariesmama:

perhaps he has rugburn?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)