Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's in you kid's lunchbox?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies

This is in response to another post you might have seen about how one mother's child's school put a ban on the following things:

No peanut butter or nuts

no cookies

no chips

no prepackaged granola bars or breakfast bars

no soda

no juice

no candy

no "lunch-ables" lunches

no fruit roll ups

basically no dessert of any kind

many of the comments agreed with this ban and I saw many comments mentioning the rise in obesity and how parents just don't know how to feed their children these days. To me it doesn't seem that likely that the majority of parents would be sending their kids with soda and candy at lunch time, but maybe I'm wrong. So please be honest, what is in your kids lunch box on a typical day? No bashing please, I'm seriously curious about what most moms send theirr kids to school with. I'd like to get an idea of whether I'm being too unhealthy. My son is and has always been a bit on the the large side, 90th percentile, and a little pudgy in the middle. 

For the record, my sons meals are usually left over gluten-free dinner from the night before in a thermos to keep it warm, meat and cheese, sometimes on GF bread if we're lucky.

Occasionally he will have a cheese quesadilla on corn tortilla if we're out of everything.

For a side I pack those veggie/ fruit packs that are like babyfood in a pouch (it's he only way to get a veggie in him). Then I'll add a little something extra. Maybe a small orange, apple, fruit snack, pretzels or even a little yogurt depending on the size of the main course.

I have, in the past thrown in a small gluten free cookie (very very rare), and after valentines day or Halloween I might throw in a chocolate kiss or a mini-candy of some sort. But now I've discovered I'm not supposed to at my kids school! Oops! 

I don't pack a drink because they provide water at the school.  

So what about you? 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:36 AM
Whatever the school fixes.
New.OrleansLady
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Today DS has left overs.... Pork loin, cheesy potatos and green beans. Sometimes he gets sandwiches or ::gasp:: a chef boyardee cup. He usually gets fruit snacks, gold fish carrots or fruit cups for snacks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I always pack leftovers from dinner.  So today, DD and DS have chicken stir fry, brown rice, and a cucumber salad.  Both my kids like unsweetened herbal tea so I usually pack that as a drink, hot in cold weather and cold in hot whether.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Today was asparagus wrapped in non cured procuitto and sprinkled with parm cheese, steamed carrots and broccoli, a salad with home made dressing, hummus for veggie dipping and an apple.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Um...can you make ME lunch? :) that sounds delicious! 

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Today was asparagus wrapped in non cured procuitto and sprinkled with parm cheese, steamed carrots and broccoli, a salad with home made dressing, hummus for veggie dipping and an apple.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:42 AM
My dd takes a sandwich every day (either ham or pb&j, the only two kinds she'll eat) plus a Baggie of crackers, a fruit cup (usually oranges) and a bottle of water
candyrow
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Chicken sandwich, crisps, (im in UK lol) yogurt, Apple, a few chopped strawberries, wafer and a dilute Orange juice. I try to vary it, sometimes a sausage roll instead of a sandwich.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:44 AM

My son's school list is actually more restrictive than this list. But I am cool with it. I don't like that stuff had to be restricted, but I understand it.  

Today, he is having veggie 'sushi', sugar snaps, a serving of almonds, and water.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I wish I could take him pb &j. It's one of the few things I know he'll eat but we have a child with peanut allergies  

:( 

i guess I can't complain though...he is the gluten-free kid, but it still kind of stinks. All the money And time i would save! lol

Quoting Anonymous:

My dd takes a sandwich every day (either ham or pb&j, the only two kinds she'll eat) plus a Baggie of crackers, a fruit cup (usually oranges) and a bottle of water

Delta.Dawn
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Turkey wraps,Greek yogurt & water or Juice drink. I make the same ( not the same thing every day but they get identical lunches to be fair) lunches for both my DS and DD. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)