Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The dumbing down of America

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 244 Replies
18 moms liked this
It is true. The curriculum is becoming more simple and dumbed down, that honors students are not actually smarter than the average student.

No child left behind! I wonder what this generation will look like in 30 years? Smarter and more advanced or more simple minded and *lazy*, for lack of a better word?
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xSPLENDIFEROUSx
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM
13 moms liked this

I completely agree!  Standardized testing and "teaching to the test" is really limiting our children's potential for growth!

lovinglife0682
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM
4 moms liked this
Edited* Actually the standards in public education are higher than they have ever been. Colleges are harder to get into and have many more applicants.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mcelly
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM
7 moms liked this
Private school all the way!!!
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:24 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree somewhat and disagree somewhat.  Some things are dumbed down and are  not taught as it used to be. Some things are taught for test purposes. However, others are not. It also depends on where you are and the school your child attends. I do know back when I was in school the stuff kids are doing now was done much later in their school career.  My children are all very bright and read way above grade level. Their schools work with the kids on their level. It is a public school but they have classes for children to help if they are below grade level in something or above.  So I think it is a mixture.  

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM
4 moms liked this

I was reading an artice recently about how here in FL they are not allowed to expect as much from AA and hispanic students as they are from whites and asians.  Don't they realize that they are NOT helping the AA and hispanic students by doing that?  They could be dumb as rocks and get As just because of their respective races but whites and asians have to work for their grades?  So the whites and asians are actually going to be learning while the others will be slacking off.  And anyone who hires the AA and hispanic students in the future will end up with employees who don't have even the most basic of educations.  It's pathetic and wrong.  We are all supposed to be equal, therefore everyone should have to meet the same expectations.  Period.

No Child Left Behind is one of the stupidest movements ever.  Children of above-average intelligence should NEVER be squelched in favor of those who are average or struggle with any given subject.  Let those who can excel and progress more rapidly do so - that means the teacher has more time to deal with those who are average or struggling.  Teach kids emotional maturity and the reality that not everyone is bright, that some have more trouble learning than others, and that it's okay no matter what; even if they do take longer to learn he material, the important thing is that they're *learning*, not how long it takes them to do it.

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:37 AM

agree

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree about standardized testing. I hate it.

However, I know when I went to K it half a day and it was pretty much what preschool is today. We didn't learn to read and pretty much just learned to write the alphabet and our names.

autodidact
by Snarknado on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this

sure is, as your second sentence proves

autodidact
by Snarknado on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

oy. standards ARE.

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Actually the standards in public education is higher than it has ever been. Colleges are harder to get into and have many more applicants.

lovinglife0682
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Sorry. It was a quick response with no proof reading.

Quoting autodidact:

oy. standards ARE.

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Actually the standards in public education is higher than it has ever been. Colleges are harder to get into and have many more applicants.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)