Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it possible that black kids...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Are just getting in more trouble at school? I was listening to the news and they are saying there is a problem because black kids are having to be disaplined at three times the rate of white kids. Is it that the school is unfairly punishing black students even when they do nothing wrong? Or that they are getting in more trouble? Im genuinly curious what others think. I dont have school age children yet so i have no idea how it works. I dont want this to sound racist either. I think if you do the crime you do the time. No matter what color your skin is. I think sometimes maybe its not wanting to believe that they are just making bad choices and getting in trouble. I think it would be hard to find a story where anyone was upset that white kids where being punished more than another race. It would just be, well, i guess they are causing more trouble? Ill add, of course there are injustices in all our lives, some people are just ignorant asses. But sometimes i think we just want to blame someone, instead of realizing the real problem. Maybe the black kids are doing more wrong. The solution isnt to change the punishment to make black parents feel better. But to help find out why the kids(any race) are making such poor choices.
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Replies (251-258):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 74 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Come to my town & do a total makeover to look black. Then go to some of these schools around here. You will see why a lot of the black parents are pissed at the schools. Some women on here are quick to say ppl need to stop playing the racist card. Until you know what they have/are going through, you have no right to assume they just love playing the race card.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 43 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Anthony Johnson was an Angolan held as an indentured servant by a merchant in the Colony of Virginia in 1620, but later freed to become a successful tobacco farmer and owner. Notably, he was the first to hold a black African servant as a slave in the mainland American colonies.

Education in history, its your friend.

Quoting Anonymous:

Blacks were not the first to own slaves in America.

Indentured servitude was for a specific period of time, not for life.

Quoting Anonymous:

Just a small for the record, you do know the first person to ever enslave a black person WAS a black man right?

Blacks are just as guilty for being slave owners, and whites were also enslaved. Except they weren't called salves, they were called "indentured servants"

Quoting Anonymous:

No, reparations did not happen for blacks.  No, black history is not integrated into American history (I say this havng read through the textbook that is currently being used in an AP History class).

What is unique about slavery is the mindset that was engrained and that, to a certain extent, continues to exist today in some people.  People who don't have that mindset have nothing to "own up" to. 

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Reparations did happen even at a national level to try and make things rightas much as one can after something so bad. As far as public apologies, would you prefer the whole tjing ignored? Oh it happened, well fuck it it wasn't me, black history month definatly shouldn't have to exist, and it is integrated into American history now, where before it wasn't even discussed let alone integrated. I never said blacks should be thankful for mixed marriages don't get that twisted. I said all of these things are signs that people now are not the people that existed during times of slavery and these are examples of changing and changed mentality. So why should these same people who teach history, apologize for people they had no connection to, condone mixed marriages, etc have to "own up" to some bullshit they never had a part in in the first place?

What unique things about slavery would make you think that anybody now should have to own up to the atrocity?

Because that's what I'm talking about. Not that slavery was bad or not. Not that racism or inequality exists still. Not that there are certain things that should have never happened. Because if you're looking for an argument on those subjects you won't get it. I'm talking about white people now being looked at as if they are somehow connected to this event in historyand should be owning up to acts done in the past, solely because they share a skin color, when clearly steps, no matter how minor, have been made by plenty to distance themselves from that stigma.

Quoting Anonymous:

Reparations didn't happen for blacks.  Public apologies are meaningless.  Black history month shouldn't still have to happen; it should be integrated into American history, which it is not.  Mixed marriages: are you saying that blacks somehow need to be thankful that whites are no longer hunting them down because of the person they marry?

Yes, there will always be racists.  And, to a certain extent, racism in America is not tied to slavery.  White Americans have a history of being racist towards Asians, Latinos and Native Americans, and they were not slaves in this country.  That being said, however, to the extent that you don't see that there were certain uniquie things about slavery in America there is probably nothing that is going to change that. 

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Reparations, payments given to families with slave heritage by families of the masters that owned them.
Public apologies, an apology made in public by individuals or leaders as a whole to those that were wronged by slavery.
Mixed marriages, something that during the times of slavery and even 50 years ago, you would be hunted down for, which is now widely accepted by the general population.
Black history month, a month enacted to teach about prominent black members of society, which previously were not even discussed solely because of the color of their skin.

There will always be racists, of every color in this world and especially in this country.
Which doesnt have shit to do with slavery now does it?

Quoting Anonymous:

Reparations?  What reparations?  Public apologies?  Mixed marriages?  Black history month?   Are you kidding?

You are correct, the people who actually owned slaves are no longer alive.  There are people alive, however, who continue to perpetuate economic and social differences based upon race.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Really? Cuz I thought that was pretty clearly established with reparations, the back to Africa movement, the public apologies, the children of racists who chose to walk away from their families, the throngs of non-blacks marching alongside for liberty and freedom, affirmative action, mixed marriages, discrimination acts, black history month etc. We as a country are sorry, and have been sorry, for what went on here. We are sorry your ancestors culture was taken. We are sorry your ancestors, not you, went through what they did. We are sorry nobody did more early on to stop it. But nobody in this country is going to "own up" to shit because there is not a soul alive that had anything to do with those atrocities.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yup own up to having slaves and setting back a whole race hundreds of years. They should def own up.

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe that blacks complain a lot about racism, yet some of them are also racist. Sometimes they should just stop with the racist card and own up to their mistakes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 73 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Africans used to trade their own people for goods and money. It was for punishment and greed. Never did they imagine that slavery would target them and ruin their families and freedom. Every race enslaved their own race.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anthony Johnson was an Angolan held as an indentured servant by a merchant in the Colony of Virginia in 1620, but later freed to become a successful tobacco farmer and owner. Notably, he was the first to hold a black African servant as a slave in the mainland American colonies.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Just a small for the record, you do know the first person to ever enslave a black person WAS a black man right?

Blacks are just as guilty for being slave owners, and whites were also enslaved. Except they weren't called salves, they were called "indentured servants"

Quoting Anonymous:

No, reparations did not happen for blacks.  No, black history is not integrated into American history (I say this havng read through the textbook that is currently being used in an AP History class).

What is unique about slavery is the mindset that was engrained and that, to a certain extent, continues to exist today in some people.  People who don't have that mindset have nothing to "own up" to. 

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Reparations did happen even at a national level to try and make things rightas much as one can after something so bad. As far as public apologies, would you prefer the whole tjing ignored? Oh it happened, well fuck it it wasn't me, black history month definatly shouldn't have to exist, and it is integrated into American history now, where before it wasn't even discussed let alone integrated. I never said blacks should be thankful for mixed marriages don't get that twisted. I said all of these things are signs that people now are not the people that existed during times of slavery and these are examples of changing and changed mentality. So why should these same people who teach history, apologize for people they had no connection to, condone mixed marriages, etc have to "own up" to some bullshit they never had a part in in the first place?

What unique things about slavery would make you think that anybody now should have to own up to the atrocity?

Because that's what I'm talking about. Not that slavery was bad or not. Not that racism or inequality exists still. Not that there are certain things that should have never happened. Because if you're looking for an argument on those subjects you won't get it. I'm talking about white people now being looked at as if they are somehow connected to this event in historyand should be owning up to acts done in the past, solely because they share a skin color, when clearly steps, no matter how minor, have been made by plenty to distance themselves from that stigma.

Quoting Anonymous:

Reparations didn't happen for blacks.  Public apologies are meaningless.  Black history month shouldn't still have to happen; it should be integrated into American history, which it is not.  Mixed marriages: are you saying that blacks somehow need to be thankful that whites are no longer hunting them down because of the person they marry?

Yes, there will always be racists.  And, to a certain extent, racism in America is not tied to slavery.  White Americans have a history of being racist towards Asians, Latinos and Native Americans, and they were not slaves in this country.  That being said, however, to the extent that you don't see that there were certain uniquie things about slavery in America there is probably nothing that is going to change that. 

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Reparations, payments given to families with slave heritage by families of the masters that owned them.
Public apologies, an apology made in public by individuals or leaders as a whole to those that were wronged by slavery.
Mixed marriages, something that during the times of slavery and even 50 years ago, you would be hunted down for, which is now widely accepted by the general population.
Black history month, a month enacted to teach about prominent black members of society, which previously were not even discussed solely because of the color of their skin.

There will always be racists, of every color in this world and especially in this country.

Quoting Anonymous:

Reparations?  What reparations?  Public apologies?  Mixed marriages?  Black history month?   Are you kidding?

You are correct, the people who actually owned slaves are no longer alive.  There are people alive, however, who continue to perpetuate economic and social differences based upon race.

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Really? Cuz I thought that was pretty clearly established with reparations, the back to Africa movement, the public apologies, the children of racists who chose to walk away from their families, the throngs of non-blacks marching alongside for liberty and freedom, affirmative action, mixed marriages, discrimination acts, black history month etc. We as a country are sorry, and have been sorry, for what went on here. We are sorry your ancestors culture was taken. We are sorry your ancestors, not you, went through what they did. We are sorry nobody did more early on to stop it. But nobody in this country is going to "own up" to shit because there is not a soul alive that had anything to do with those atrocities.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yup own up to having slaves and setting back a whole race hundreds of years. They should def own up.

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe that blacks complain a lot about racism, yet some of them are also racist. Sometimes they should just stop with the racist card and own up to their mistakes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 43 on Mar. 22, 2013 at 7:12 PM
I was simply giving an answer after it was said blacks weren't the first to own slaves in America when in fact it was a black Angolan man who first owned a slave in America.

And you just answered the entire argument. Every race has enslaved their own, therefore every race has been a slave making the "my race was slaves and because of that you people owe us" statement a load of crock.

Jews were burned alive in concentration camps. Christians of any race are killed on the spot in many countries. Every race, gender, religious preference, and even age has been discriminated against, enslaved, physically harmed, and even killed for being who they were born as or raised as.

If black persons are still "owed" something for being enslaved then EVERYONE is owed something from someone else for the same exact thing.

In fact, the slavery of black people is actually thought to have originated from middle eastern Muslims enslaving white European Christians as early as the 1500s. Which means that white Christians were actually the first people known to have been enslaved.

Quoting Anonymous:

Africans used to trade their own people for goods and money. It was for punishment and greed. Never did they imagine that slavery would target them and ruin their families and freedom. Every race enslaved their own race.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

headingsouth13
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 9:25 PM

my brothers school is the same with the white children being the minority. Hispanics and black children almost tied for the majority.

Quoting conweis:

This, except the opposite was happening. My son (white) was being punished while the other kide(black) weren't. I called the lady out on it and she looked at me like I was stupid. If my kid is sitting alone for throwing paper air planes, why weren't the other children? My kid went to a majority black school too.

Quoting headingsouth13:

i think it is a little bit of both to be frankly honest. however i do believe they are targeted more because of their race. i saw it when i was at my brothers school child #1(white) was bouncing a ball in the gym before class started child #2(black) was doing the samething. child #2 was yelled at for doing so while child #1 was not yet they were doing the samething

CafeMom Tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Anthony Johnson wasn't the first person to ever enslave a black person.  African slavery began in the Americas in the 1500s in the Dominican Republic.  African slaves were first brought to America in 1619.  The first recognition of a slave for life occurred in 1640.  Anthony Johnson was legally recognized as owning a slave in 1654.

Reading is fundamental.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Lizard_Lina:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 75 on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:40 PM
I think there's a culture where doing good in school and behaving isn't cool or gansta...

My kids are biracial..and their older brother had to switch to a less diverse school. He was being tormented and beat up in a daily basis because he dressed more skater and did well in school...and wouldn't join their gangs...
Kaseyrose21
by Gold Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Violence is common in black communities from a young age. It stems from several different issues but it all results in a disproportionate number of black MALES being incarcerated (this is why black women are often pillars in their communities). It is truly sad. They did a study about 2 years ago that showed that black men are safer IN prison then out! Because black on black crime is a HUGE problem. Black men are looked down upon in this society (whether they deserve it or not is purely opinion). I know that it can be hard (though not impossible) to beat the odds, especially if since birth you have been handed the short stick. But it all starts with a choice. And if you are taught that the right choice is through disobedience and violence... Sigh... it is truly a tough and sad topic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN