Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are your cats declawed?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 141 Replies

I have one cat who is declawed....she scratched my face while I was pregnant with DS 1, and it was either that or find her another home....she is totally fine now, and we aren't afraid of her.  I have another cat, who is VERY destructive, and has become even more so since DS 2 is due soon.  There are holes in our new curtains, places where the carpet has been ruined, seems like we can't get anything without her destroying it.  I've tried water guns, tape, you name it.  I'm wondering if any of you ladies have had both of your cats declawed, and after the fact, were you able to preserve some of your furniture?

Please don't lecture me about the inhumanity...I am very aware of both arguments regarding declawing.  I fully support it.

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM

2 are/were, one isn't.

nicki1018
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM
He is but his previous owner did it, I'm actually not for doing it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cowgirlmom09
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM
All of the cats my mom has had have been declawed on their front paws. She's had cats since I was a baby. I think even my sister had her cats declawed before she got rid of them after her dd was born.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM
3 moms liked this

Hell no. You can trim their nails or have them capped .

Acid
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM
3 moms liked this

No, I haven't cut my cats toes off.

srm8824
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Nah, my cats aren't declawed. A friend of mine had a cat and it scratched up her stuff so they put these little tiny plastic covers over the cats claws. I cannot remember what they were called though...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM

When you cap them do you do it or does the vet do it?

Quoting ColleenF30:

Hell no. You can trim their nails or have them capped .

CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I got my girls declawed at 6 months old when I got them fixed.  I had just bought brand new furniture and it was expensive....I didn't want it ruined.

I got my boy a couple years later and didn't get him declawed because .....well I honestly don't know why...I got him fixed...I wish I had gotten him done too....he has ruined my couches...I have a few scratching posts..he uses them, but also uses my couch....I cut his nails on a regular basis but he still scratches.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM
5 moms liked this

No, I think it is disgusting and should be against the law.  In many countries it is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Yes he is declawed.  The vet said as long as it was done when he is young there are no problems.  There was no way I would have a cat without it done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)