Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I obligated to...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Am I obligated to tell family about my miscarriage?

Here's the back story..fil just texted me to tell me that dh's younger brother and his "fiancée" (he's 21 and has already had 4 fiancées lol) are expecting a baby. I said congrats and all that. Then fil asked when we would be having another. I told him that since I had a miscarriage last September, I wanted to wait a little while before trying again.
Well long story short, he's super pissed that this was the first he was hearing of the miscarriage. Dh and his father are not close at all. He lives in fl we live in pa and fil wasn't ever really in dh's life until we got pregnant with ds. He says that's as a grandparent he has the right to know and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Is he right? Are we obligated to tell family that we had a miscarriage?!
Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Replies (41-48):
debmom07
by Bronze Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I think it is very personal. Its heartbreaking and maybe you chose not to share such a painful part of your life. Ugh ppl sometimes don't knew when to back off.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Nope, you're not obligated to tell them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM
No and I would not even have told him what you said. We had a misscarriage but no one knows outside of dh, our therapist and I.
mommyof11050307
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM
It's up to you who you tell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wendyjoe
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:38 PM

then you have no obligations.

Quoting Anonymous:

No one except dh and my mom knew about the pregnancy, it was an early loss and happened 3 days after I found out I was even pregnant.

Quoting wendyjoe:

i think if you tell hem about pregnancy you should tell them about miscarriage. otherwise they may ask you about baby all the time and it could eventually get to you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Didn't mean to. Had no intentions of telling anyone except dh, my mom n BFF but I guess since I had just been texting my mom about it this morning, it was still on my mind and I slipped up. Wish I could take it back. Now dh's whole family will know and this is going to turn into a big huge thing
:( kicking myself right now

Quoting Anonymous:

No and I would not even have told him what you said. We had a misscarriage but no one knows outside of dh, our therapist and I.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Sorry mama, If they bitch just tell them to bite it. They are not your dh and that they can shove it. Sometimes things slip, I understand that, so don't kick your self to hard.
Quoting Anonymous:

VannaMae307
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM

no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)