Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why is it. (Might cause a debate)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Why is it that black history month is celebrated but if I wanted a "white history month" its racist.

Girls in boy scouts is fine but no boy could join girl guides (Canadians)

Gay pride parades every year but if I teach heterosexual families I am bigoted.

Schools can teach about all religions and all holidays but not about Christmas

That there can be "Black Beauty pageants" where no whites are allowed but if someone tried to do a White only pageant they would be sent to court.

In my sons gymnastics class and a black child went in front of Connor for an activity (no big deal) Mom was beside me (didn't know I was mom) and mumbled  "good job we never go in back put the cracker in the back" I turned to her totally surprised but didn't say anything. What would have happened if I used the N word?

I am sorry for the past I really am...but how much longer are we supposed to bend over backwards for what our ancestors did??

Oh and learn the bloody language of the country you are moving to!

Okay so I will get chewed out for this. But before you do. I have friends of all colours I am not racist I am just tired of being treated like a second class citizen by those that claim they are.

Vent over

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Replies (451-460):
mickstinator
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM
like I said, all groups have been oppressed. I think the op was referring to American sentiments, not universal. the issues listed are specifically American.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dad was a white man when the Rhodesian civil war started. He watched his best friend get murdered at the end of his driveway when he was 16 for being white. My father was "recruited" to the war effort at 16 and witnessed some seriously violent horrors. His family left the country when he was 18.

My ancestors were white slaves in England or native Hawaiians.

I disagree with OP's sentiment but I've also done the work to see my family history and they were oppressed as well.

Quoting mickstinator:

denying jobs to a specific nationality and denying personhood for hundreds of years is NOT equivalent. irish were oppressed...for a few years. then they married into the other white nationalities and no one knew the difference. 

Oppression has happened to everyone. We even had internment camps in America where we housed all Asian AMERICANS during WWII. But it was only 50 years ago when black people could SIT IN THE FRONT OF THE BUS. Was your Irish grandma denied that right? The point is that we NEVER righted the wrong. We "freed" black Americans, then actually freed them over a hundred years later. Then, we expect them to just forget the atrocities we put them through for so, so long. You are unable to do that for your great x10 grandpa hundreds of years ago. How can you expect a group of people who lived through the very oppression you cited your ancestors going through to just forget and forgive? It takes TIME. 

Quoting Anonymous:

"Irish need not apply" That was a sign that faced many of my family that came over here after they were driven out by the Brits. So, hell yes I would call that opression.

Jews killed by a fanatical German. Jews driven out of their homes, put into camps and having to leave countries. No jobs, no shelter. Yeah, I'd call that oppressed.

Oh I'm sorry...I guess your going to pull the whole that is heritage not race card. Jew and Irish are both heritages AND races and BOTH were oppressed. Both were enslaved in their own countries. Both faced hard issues. It was NOT just blacks.

Quoting Anonymous:

black people were oppressed, were you??

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Canadian... Not American.

Quoting mickstinator:

like I said, all groups have been oppressed. I think the op was referring to American sentiments, not universal. the issues listed are specifically American.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dad was a white man when the Rhodesian civil war started. He watched his best friend get murdered at the end of his driveway when he was 16 for being white. My father was "recruited" to the war effort at 16 and witnessed some seriously violent horrors. His family left the country when he was 18.

I disagree with OP's sentiment but I've also done the work to see my family history and they were oppressed as well.

Quoting mickstinator:

denying jobs to a specific nationality and denying personhood for hundreds of years is NOT equivalent. irish were oppressed...for a few years. then they married into the other white nationalities and no one knew the difference. 

Oppression has happened to everyone. We even had internment camps in America where we housed all Asian AMERICANS during WWII. But it was only 50 years ago when black people could SIT IN THE FRONT OF THE BUS. Was your Irish grandma denied that right? The point is that we NEVER righted the wrong. We "freed" black Americans, then actually freed them over a hundred years later. Then, we expect them to just forget the atrocities we put them through for so, so long. You are unable to do that for your great x10 grandpa hundreds of years ago. How can you expect a group of people who lived through the very oppression you cited your ancestors going through to just forget and forgive? It takes TIME. 

Quoting Anonymous:

"Irish need not apply" That was a sign that faced many of my family that came over here after they were driven out by the Brits. So, hell yes I would call that opression.

Jews killed by a fanatical German. Jews driven out of their homes, put into camps and having to leave countries. No jobs, no shelter. Yeah, I'd call that oppressed.

Oh I'm sorry...I guess your going to pull the whole that is heritage not race card. Jew and Irish are both heritages AND races and BOTH were oppressed. Both were enslaved in their own countries. Both faced hard issues. It was NOT just blacks.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM
You just made a great example for the OP.

Quoting AnHpuresugar:

Oh for god's sake, the majority and those in charge don't have special months or groups because that history and culture is present ALL the time.  Does it really affect your life that much?  Jeezus, people are whiny assholes.

mickstinator
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I meant the op, not you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mickstinator:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mickstinator:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I know, she's Canadian... Go read the OP again.

Quoting mickstinator:

I meant the op, not you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mickstinator:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting mickstinator:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

meaghan116
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Lmfao look the social studies curriculum for the remainer of the school year - that is all the history of whites - your nuts....

And the world revolves around hertosexual families - they are depicted and taught about everyday.... So what would you feel the need to teach about that? Lmfao suck it up

The mother at gymnastics as racist - she never should have said a comment like that it's despicable - just like you thinking that black children should be denied one month when they get to learn about their ancestors wah wah call the Kkk or the westborough Baptist church I'm sure they'll help you organize a march
pandabear61
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Girls can join Boy Scouts as Venture scouts at the age of 14. 

ChristianHerbal
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Quoting HousewifeNina:

How old are you?

I'm 55

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow I go away for the weekend and this explodes....glad to see that some think like me and those that still think I am racist so be it...I am not! I teach my son not to judge just wish others would do the same for us...I mean not all white people are "out to get you"

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 25, 2013 at 3:57 AM

I just think you should re-read your response (highlighted below) to the part about beauty pagents. You first state that the Miss America pagent is open to ALL women, regardless of color and that black beauty pagents are ONLY open to women of color.  Then you state that (blacks) can set these guidelines (for black pagents) because they are the minority. Finally, you state that white women are NOT discrimated against simply because they CANNOT participate in black pagents BECAUSE they CAN participate in the "other" pagents. 

Are black women NOT allowed to participate in those same "other" pagents? Or is your first statement incorrect and blacks, in fact, CANNOT participate in the Miss America pagent? The meaning of the word "discrimintion" does not change simply because something or someone is in the "minority." Excluding someone or ONLY including someone based solely on something that characterizes them in a specific group, class, or category rather than on individual credit, qualities, talents, virtues, etc. IS discrimination.  Lastly, just because someone can participate in another type of pagent is really a moot point.  No matter which way you try to twist it, they are still being discriminated against!

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Why is it that black history month is celebrated but if I wanted a "white history month" its racist.   Because EVERY MONTH is white history month. You've already got WHITE HISTORY MONTH 11 months out of the freakin year. 

Girls in boy scouts is fine but no boy could join girl guides (Canadians)  I'm not Canadian, but from what I understand there are many different flavors of scouts there.

Gay pride parades every year but if I teach heterosexual families I am bigoted.  Not sure I understand this one.  What exactly do you teach?

Schools can teach about all religions and all holidays but not about Christmas  Not true everywhere, you must have morons running things in your school district.

That there can be "Black Beauty pageants" where no whites are allowed but if someone tried to do a White only pageant they would be sent to court.  Because Miss America is open to contestants regardless of color, where as black beauty pagents are open only to women of color.  They can do that because they are minorities.  White women aren't discriminated against because they aren't allowed in black beauty pagents, they can compete in the other ones.  

In my sons gymnastics class and a black child went in front of Connor for an activity (no big deal) Mom was beside me (didn't know I was mom) and mumbled  "good job we never go in back put the cracker in the back" I turned to her totally surprised but didn't say anything. What would have happened if I used the N word?  I would have told her, excuse me, we don't cut lines here, and then I would have had a talk to the gymnastics coach about what the mom said. 

I am sorry for the past I really am...but how much longer are we supposed to bend over backwards for what our ancestors did??  I don't bend over backwards, why do you?  We have affirmative action laws in place to help achieve parity in races.  When parity is achieved, the laws will be disbanded.  Busing laws have already been disbanded in some states because parity has been achieved. Affirmative action laws work for women in the workplace too, regardless of race.  So that means you too, angry white woman. 

Oh and learn the bloody language of the country you are moving to! Pssst.  Hispanics are fast becoming the major race here in the US.  So when they do, will you learn Spanish since you will be a minority?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)