Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why is it. (Might cause a debate)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Why is it that black history month is celebrated but if I wanted a "white history month" its racist.

Girls in boy scouts is fine but no boy could join girl guides (Canadians)

Gay pride parades every year but if I teach heterosexual families I am bigoted.

Schools can teach about all religions and all holidays but not about Christmas

That there can be "Black Beauty pageants" where no whites are allowed but if someone tried to do a White only pageant they would be sent to court.

In my sons gymnastics class and a black child went in front of Connor for an activity (no big deal) Mom was beside me (didn't know I was mom) and mumbled  "good job we never go in back put the cracker in the back" I turned to her totally surprised but didn't say anything. What would have happened if I used the N word?

I am sorry for the past I really am...but how much longer are we supposed to bend over backwards for what our ancestors did??

Oh and learn the bloody language of the country you are moving to!

Okay so I will get chewed out for this. But before you do. I have friends of all colours I am not racist I am just tired of being treated like a second class citizen by those that claim they are.

Vent over

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Replies (491-500):
BrookieCookie1
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know because although i'm not black, my family is chock full of generations of dysfunction. Once you see firsthand how lingering the effects of things like garden variety mental illness, addiction and bad behavior are, then it's pretty damn hard for me to imagine that just back when my grandparents were around, my great uncle was dragged by vehicle to his death or my grandmother systematically raped and abused, my grandparents hanging from trees, i just don't get how it's so easy to just get over it either. DO you have valid points? Yes, but they are probably far more valid to you with what I'd bet was a surburbanite, lilly white, somewhat priviledged existance.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 86 on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Because life isn't fair and straight, white, Christians need to be punished for their crimes against man.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 87 on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you all the way. People ALL people can be real ASSHOLES.

k1kelley
by Kim on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Amen!!

2boys9yrsapart
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Idk. I don't watch TP either. But ralphie mays makes fun of blacks ALL the time as does daniel tosh and dane cook. Not a big deal to me. Never seen a spike lee movie. Pretty sure in WTE bernie just used what she thought would hurt him. My husband cheated on me with a black girl with one foot.i called the bitch "peg". Using what you know as FACT doesn't necessarily make you racist. As for white potrayal of african americans two words DJANGO UNCHAINED. I'm sure there's quite a few stereotypes in it. Btw Who created the sopranos?

Ugh if this reads standoffish i don't mean for it to. So please don't take it that way ok?

Quoting Leobaby2007:Ok. Fair enough. However, those are mostly comedies, not dramas, are they not? IDK because I have never seen Tyler Perry's movies or shows, so please forgive me if I am wrong. Also, Tyler Perry is black making parodies of black family life. What if a white person were to do it? Black comedians make fun of white people all the time (I know we're easy targets lol, but still- if white comedians made fun of black people- there would be some serious hell to pay.)Let's take the movies by Spike Lee- Jungle Fever, for example, and the stereotypical way in which he portrays the Italian-American girl (Annabella Sciorra) and her family when they found out she had an affair with a black man. Her brothers beat the crap out of her. That is SUCH a stereotype! I am Italian Anerican and my brother would never lay a hand on me, no matter WHAT. All they do in that movie in diss Wesley Snipes' character not only because he had affair, but mostly because it was with a "white bitch." What difference does it make whom he cheated on his wife with? White woman or black woman? HE CHEATED. End of story.In the movie Waiting To Exhale (which I enjoyed, BTW), but SAME THING- Angela Bassett's character's husband cheats on her with a "white bitch" and leaves her for the woman. I literally cringe everytime the beautiful Bernie, played by Angela Bassett, educated and wealthy and living in Scottsdale, AZ, in this movie, says "that white bitch" several times. It's so...beneath her. At least in that movie, there goes on to be a storyline that teaches the character (Bernie) a lesson that it's not about white or black, but still...If a white director made a movie or TV show with such themes as these, he/she would be called racist. My husband is Eastern Indian and raised Hindu although he himself does not practice. His skin tone is as dark as our current President's. So before anyone accuses me of being a racist, please think again- my own child is bi-racial and Italian Americans, although Caucasian, have had a lot of prejudice against them when they first came to this country. My husband had a photo of our son when he was a newborn on his desk at work and some JACKASS took a red pen and put a red dot in the middle of our baby's forehead on the photo! I WAS FURIOUS!!!!!! WTF??????I'm just sayin'...no way will we see a gritty TV show about African-Americans like the Sopranos (complete with every single stereotype imaginable) without big mouth Reverend Jesse Jackson getting on TV crying racism. Just sayin'...that's all.Quoting 2boys9yrsapart:There are dozens of stereotypical black TV shows, I think they're by Tyler Perry on TBS. I don't watch them they don't represent my family in any way, shape or form. But there are plenty who do and relate.

Quoting Leobaby2007:I actually agree.

Also, as Italian American, let's take a look at the HBO TV show The Sopranos. It was a great show, but there were A TON of stereotypes about the nationality.

Had there been a show about black people like this or Arabs or Muslims, would they have been as accepting? Hmmmm...sometimes I wonder.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Leobaby2007
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Haven't seen Django Unchained- yet. I plan on it.

You absolutely do not come off as standoffish in ANY WAY at all. In fact, the complete opposite- you seem educated, open minded, and willing to listen to another's POV, and for that, I thank you. ;-)

LOL @ "peg"- that's pretty hilarious, HOWEVER, I am SO terribly sorry you went through that. How awful. :-( What a douche bag your husband was- or is??? Not sure if your marriage survived the infidelity or not. Yes, Bernie was very hurt, and I was so happy that she turned things around for herself at the end of the movie. I never took the words used in the movie personally, being Caucasian, but I also am not traditionally "white", as in WASP, or blonde and blue eyed. I am ethnic, and I look it.

Who created the Sopeanos? Most of the writers had Italian looking last names lol. Great show, but I did know of a few Italian Americans who REFUSED to watch the show because it pissed them off that the show perpetuated some stereotypes we have been trying very hard to get away from for many years- even generations. Meh. I liked the show too much to boycot it lol.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I really appreciate it! :-)

Quoting 2boys9yrsapart:

Idk. I don't watch TP either. But ralphie mays makes fun of blacks ALL the time as does daniel tosh and dane cook. Not a big deal to me. Never seen a spike lee movie. Pretty sure in WTE bernie just used what she thought would hurt him. My husband cheated on me with a black girl with one foot.i called the bitch "peg". Using what you know as FACT doesn't necessarily make you racist. As for white potrayal of african americans two words DJANGO UNCHAINED. I'm sure there's quite a few stereotypes in it. Btw Who created the sopranos?

Ugh if this reads standoffish i don't mean for it to. So please don't take it that way ok?

Quoting Leobaby2007:Ok. Fair enough. However, those are mostly comedies, not dramas, are they not? IDK because I have never seen Tyler Perry's movies or shows, so please forgive me if I am wrong. Also, Tyler Perry is black making parodies of black family life. What if a white person were to do it? Black comedians make fun of white people all the time (I know we're easy targets lol, but still- if white comedians made fun of black people- there would be some serious hell to pay.)Let's take the movies by Spike Lee- Jungle Fever, for example, and the stereotypical way in which he portrays the Italian-American girl (Annabella Sciorra) and her family when they found out she had an affair with a black man. Her brothers beat the crap out of her. That is SUCH a stereotype! I am Italian Anerican and my brother would never lay a hand on me, no matter WHAT. All they do in that movie in diss Wesley Snipes' character not only because he had affair, but mostly because it was with a "white bitch." What difference does it make whom he cheated on his wife with? White woman or black woman? HE CHEATED. End of story.In the movie Waiting To Exhale (which I enjoyed, BTW), but SAME THING- Angela Bassett's character's husband cheats on her with a "white bitch" and leaves her for the woman. I literally cringe everytime the beautiful Bernie, played by Angela Bassett, educated and wealthy and living in Scottsdale, AZ, in this movie, says "that white bitch" several times. It's so...beneath her. At least in that movie, there goes on to be a storyline that teaches the character (Bernie) a lesson that it's not about white or black, but still...If a white director made a movie or TV show with such themes as these, he/she would be called racist. My husband is Eastern Indian and raised Hindu although he himself does not practice. His skin tone is as dark as our current President's. So before anyone accuses me of being a racist, please think again- my own child is bi-racial and Italian Americans, although Caucasian, have had a lot of prejudice against them when they first came to this country. My husband had a photo of our son when he was a newborn on his desk at work and some JACKASS took a red pen and put a red dot in the middle of our baby's forehead on the photo! I WAS FURIOUS!!!!!! WTF??????I'm just sayin'...no way will we see a gritty TV show about African-Americans like the Sopranos (complete with every single stereotype imaginable) without big mouth Reverend Jesse Jackson getting on TV crying racism. Just sayin'...that's all.Quoting 2boys9yrsapart:There are dozens of stereotypical black TV shows, I think they're by Tyler Perry on TBS. I don't watch them they don't represent my family in any way, shape or form. But there are plenty who do and relate.

Also, as Italian American, let's take a look at the HBO TV show The Sopranos. It was a great show, but there were A TON of stereotypes about the nationality.

Had there been a show about black people like this or Arabs or Muslims, would they have been as accepting? Hmmmm...sometimes I wonder.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 81 on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

You went off topic in your rant.  I was simply responding to that rant.  If you believe that that means you "win", so be it. Whatever you need to feel better about yourself because you know you are wrong and have nothing more to add, is just fine.  I know there are plenty of people who are very thankful your outlandish talks are over and really hope you have learned to save your breath from here on out. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Wtwhat did any of that have to do with music stations?! I win.

*drops mike and walks off stage*

Quoting Anonymous:

ALL races, "constantly stir the proverbial pot" and need to learn to be understanding and tolerant.  None of this is one-sided.  Just as you suggest "white" people and those complaining on here need to "make moves to change your imagined slights or sit down and be quiet," people of EVERY RACE need too as well.  We are ALL responsible for OURSELF. If you don't like your life, hate your job, wish you had finished school or whatever your gripe is, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Don't sit around waiting for your "freebie," lotto winnings, or for someone else to do it for you or help you out.  Handing people every little thing does nothing but continue the cycle.  It's not about tolerance, it's about RESPONSIBILITY.  LACK of RESPONSIBILITY is what is wrong with America. Take responsibility for your life.  Life sucks sometimes and it is often REALLY REALLY HARD, on so many levels.  That's just the way it is and it can only get better if YOU want it to and YOU decide to MAKE A CHANGE!  Everyone has an excuse why they "can't." BUT, everyone also has the opportunity.  Most people are just too lazy to put in the effort.  Excuses and self-pity are what are truly LAME!   

Quoting Anonymous:

You're absolutely right. You absolutely put me in my place. I'm sorry you all are so lame that this IS at the top of your lists of important things. I'm also sorry that the money made from this "segragated" station goes into the pockets of a white man. I'm also sorry that instead of going after that white man you attack the viewers. Honestly I don't watch ANY of the stations mentioned I don't know what they show. Have you watched BET? Maybe they have white programs or are you all under the assumption that the station is only available to black tv subscribers? Tell you what we'll put a token white on the shows on BET, the way you all do with tv shows that are predominantly white, to appease you. Problem solved! If you can't tell the difference between nonsensical bitching and discussion then YOU are the one with the incomprehensible brain. This entire post was designed not for debate but for argument. If someone doesn't come in here and set this ignorance straight you all (happily) run rampant. I'm well educated where it matters and will no longer entertain this garbage/BULL SHIT (yeah I said it)

Edit: I truly do apologize for allowing the lack of education and common sense found in this post to anger me even slightly. There's so much information available to you all yet you choose to ignore it. You all are what's wrong with america instead of being understanding and tolerant you constantly stir the proverbial pot, actively searching for some way that you have been wronged. Get over yourselves either make moves to change your imagined slights or sit down and be quiet.

Quoting Anonymous:Actually, I wasn't bitching. All I merely did was state fallacies in your argument.  If you are incapable of understanding the difference, that is your problem. Discussion and debate are what make the WHOLE world go round. While this topic may not be at the top of your list of important issues, others feel differently. If you think it is juvenile to be discussing this issue then why are you wasting YOUR time reading and responding to this "bull shit" (as you so eloquently called it) on the same social network site? Isn't that really the pot calling the kettle black? Oh, wait, is that going to be misconstrued by you and your unintelligible brain? Oh well, maybe you will take the time to actually educate yourself on somehting instead of just "bitch" about other people.

Quoting Anonymous:Again then take it up with the white people who own the station. What's truly juvenile is that with EVERYTHING happening in the world y'all are on a social network site bitching about bull shit.

Quoting Anonymous:Your 3 "white" stations are not exactly "white" stations nor do they advertise themselves as being "white" stations, where as BET DOES solicit as a "black" station. MTV and VHI both actually portray quite a bit of the black race. I would actually argue that amongst "black" and "white" it is probably quite even since BOTH those races dominate in the music industry in this country. Is it equal over all races? No. Do we see or hear many Spanish or Latin singers on these networks? No. What about Asian races? Nope, not really!   As for CMT, they may not have a large number of black peope represented on their network, but is that really because they are trying to cater to an all white community? No. It's because there are not many, at all, black country singers. They can't play or portray what doesn't exist. Your comparison is pretty juvenile and inaccurate.Simple fact is there should NOT be any segregated stations, particularly if we ever want race to be colorblind!

Quoting Anonymous:MTV, Vh1, CMT vs BET? Three against one, Now all of you can stfu about that one damned station!

Quoting Anonymous:i am so with you. whites are becoming the minority. sad. and they can have a BET but if we had a white only channel. its truely aa double standered. if i heard someone say that to my child i would freak on them. i am a total mama bear when it comes to my kids

Anonymous
by Anonymous 72 on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM
I was talking about music videos if you read what I wrote (not spoke therefore my breath is saved) you'd see i was taking about music videos. YOU however went off on a tangent about people not taking responsibility............. for music video stations? I feel good about myself because I live and love not because you went bonkers on a lame subject on a social network website. I help cancer patients and volunteer for March of dimes. See? THAT'S the kind of stuff that takes priority for me. HELPING others, not worrying about who has a video station or a beauty pageant. So take your self righteousness and..... well...... you understand how this off topic rant is ending right?

Quoting Anonymous:

You went off topic in your rant.  I was simply responding to that rant.  If you believe that that means you "win", so be it. Whatever you need to feel better about yourself because you know you are wrong and have nothing more to add, is just fine.  I know there are plenty of people who are very thankful your outlandish talks are over and really hope you have learned to save your breath from here on out. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Wtwhat did any of that have to do with music stations?! I win.

*drops mike and walks off stage*

Quoting Anonymous:

ALL races, "constantly stir the proverbial pot" and need to learn to be understanding and tolerant.  None of this is one-sided.  Just as you suggest "white" people and those complaining on here need to "make moves to change your imagined slights or sit down and be quiet," people of EVERY RACE need too as well.  We are ALL responsible for OURSELF. If you don't like your life, hate your job, wish you had finished school or whatever your gripe is, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Don't sit around waiting for your "freebie," lotto winnings, or for someone else to do it for you or help you out.  Handing people every little thing does nothing but continue the cycle.  It's not about tolerance, it's about RESPONSIBILITY.  LACK of RESPONSIBILITY is what is wrong with America. Take responsibility for your life.  Life sucks sometimes and it is often REALLY REALLY HARD, on so many levels.  That's just the way it is and it can only get better if YOU want it to and YOU decide to MAKE A CHANGE!  Everyone has an excuse why they "can't." BUT, everyone also has the opportunity.  Most people are just too lazy to put in the effort.  Excuses and self-pity are what are truly LAME!   

Quoting Anonymous:

You're absolutely right. You absolutely put me in my place. I'm sorry you all are so lame that this IS at the top of your lists of important things. I'm also sorry that the money made from this "segragated" station goes into the pockets of a white man. I'm also sorry that instead of going after that white man you attack the viewers. Honestly I don't watch ANY of the stations mentioned I don't know what they show. Have you watched BET? Maybe they have white programs or are you all under the assumption that the station is only available to black tv subscribers? Tell you what we'll put a token white on the shows on BET, the way you all do with tv shows that are predominantly white, to appease you. Problem solved! If you can't tell the difference between nonsensical bitching and discussion then YOU are the one with the incomprehensible brain. This entire post was designed not for debate but for argument. If someone doesn't come in here and set this ignorance straight you all (happily) run rampant. I'm well educated where it matters and will no longer entertain this garbage/BULL SHIT (yeah I said it)

Edit: I truly do apologize for allowing the lack of education and common sense found in this post to anger me even slightly. There's so much information available to you all yet you choose to ignore it. You all are what's wrong with america instead of being understanding and tolerant you constantly stir the proverbial pot, actively searching for some way that you have been wronged. Get over yourselves either make moves to change your imagined slights or sit down and be quiet.

Quoting Anonymous:Actually, I wasn't bitching. All I merely did was state fallacies in your argument.  If you are incapable of understanding the difference, that is your problem. Discussion and debate are what make the WHOLE world go round. While this topic may not be at the top of your list of important issues, others feel differently. If you think it is juvenile to be discussing this issue then why are you wasting YOUR time reading and responding to this "bull shit" (as you so eloquently called it) on the same social network site? Isn't that really the pot calling the kettle black? Oh, wait, is that going to be misconstrued by you and your unintelligible brain? Oh well, maybe you will take the time to actually educate yourself on somehting instead of just "bitch" about other people.

Quoting Anonymous:Again then take it up with the white people who own the station. What's truly juvenile is that with EVERYTHING happening in the world y'all are on a social network site bitching about bull shit.

Quoting Anonymous:Your 3 "white" stations are not exactly "white" stations nor do they advertise themselves as being "white" stations, where as BET DOES solicit as a "black" station. MTV and VHI both actually portray quite a bit of the black race. I would actually argue that amongst "black" and "white" it is probably quite even since BOTH those races dominate in the music industry in this country. Is it equal over all races? No. Do we see or hear many Spanish or Latin singers on these networks? No. What about Asian races? Nope, not really!   As for CMT, they may not have a large number of black peope represented on their network, but is that really because they are trying to cater to an all white community? No. It's because there are not many, at all, black country singers. They can't play or portray what doesn't exist. Your comparison is pretty juvenile and inaccurate.Simple fact is there should NOT be any segregated stations, particularly if we ever want race to be colorblind!

Quoting Anonymous:MTV, Vh1, CMT vs BET? Three against one, Now all of you can stfu about that one damned station!

Quoting Anonymous:i am so with you. whites are becoming the minority. sad. and they can have a BET but if we had a white only channel. its truely aa double standered. if i heard someone say that to my child i would freak on them. i am a total mama bear when it comes to my kids

NotAMuggle
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

i honestly don't give a shit. it's stupid to worry about things like this when there are real problems in the world

2boys9yrsapart
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you ma'am! This was thoroughly enjoyable! (especially given the topic) as for the whole "peg" situation I'm working one day at a time. Pray for me! Have a great week!

Quoting Leobaby2007:

Haven't seen Django Unchained- yet. I plan on it.

You absolutely do not come off as standoffish in ANY WAY at all. In fact, the complete opposite- you seem educated, open minded, and willing to listen to another's POV, and for that, I thank you. ;-)

LOL @ "peg"- that's pretty hilarious, HOWEVER, I am SO terribly sorry you went through that. How awful. :-( What a douche bag your husband was- or is??? Not sure if your marriage survived the infidelity or not. Yes, Bernie was very hurt, and I was so happy that she turned things around for herself at the end of the movie. I never took the words used in the movie personally, being Caucasian, but I also am not traditionally "white", as in WASP, or blonde and blue eyed. I am ethnic, and I look it.

Who created the Sopeanos? Most of the writers had Italian looking last names lol. Great show, but I did know of a few Italian Americans who REFUSED to watch the show because it pissed them off that the show perpetuated some stereotypes we have been trying very hard to get away from for many years- even generations. Meh. I liked the show too much to boycot it lol.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I really appreciate it! :-)

Quoting 2boys9yrsapart:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN