Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For Christians. A question about the church.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Why do churches preach so heavily about being gay, but dont preach about other things like circumcision.... This is something in the NT that says we should NOT do.. Yet many Christians still do it, and many of them believe they should for biblical reasons..

Im not looking for a intact vs circ. argument, Ive read that post a'plenty... This is not about THAT.. It is about the CHURCH not preaching against something that many of its people are doing, if we should follow the bible, why not try to help Christians follow it better by teaching them what the Word says about circumcision?

Why does the church want to focus on something that is really a personal choice that an adult makes on their own (which may of us believe being gay is NOT a choice), but ignore what PARENTS are putting on their children..

http://www.udonet.com/circumcision/christian.html.

http://www.gci.org/law/circumcision

(Also I am Christian, so this is not a Christian Bash post. But we do not attend church often because we find most to not only teach against certain things- but teach hate towards them as well...)

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Replies (41-47):
melschlegs
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM

The New Testament doesn't say not to do it, but that basically the status of one's penis became irrelevant when Jesus died on the cross.

SissyAnn141
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JTnJT:

I wish I knew exactly where it was at the moment, but I have a document from our church, that they gave me while pregnant with my son, it goes into detail, about the old laws and how the determination was made to advocate against circumcision for religious reasons.  I'm going to look for it, but may not get it posted until tomorrow.  I found it to be a very interesting read.   

As far as your question, I can't say that in our (nondenominational) church they've discussed in any detail either topic.  I know we have at least one "gay" couple who attend, so I'm assuming they must not frown too much on it.

Sounds like you need to read your BIBLE, and Not depend on others to do it for you.

JTnJT
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Romans Chapter 3:30-Chapter 4:25  "If truly God is one, who will declare circumcised people righteous as a result of faith and uncircumcised people righteous by means of their faith.  Do we then, abolish law by means of our faith?  Never may that happen!  On the contrary, we establish law. 

That being so, what shall we say about Abraham our forefather according to the flesh?  If, for instance, Abraham were declared righteous as a result of works, he would have grounds for boasting; but not with God.  For what does the scripture say?  Abraham exercised faith in God, and it was counted to him as righteousness.  Just as David also speaks of the happiness of the man to whom God counts righteousness apart from works:  "Happy are those whose lawless deeds have been pardoned and whose sins have been covered, happy is the man whose sin God will by no means take into account." 

Does this happiness, then, come upon circumcised people or also upon uncircumcised people? For we say:  His faith was counted to Abraham as righteousness.  Under what circumstances then was it counted?  When he was in circumcision or in uncircumcision?  Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.  And he received a sign, namely circumcision as a seal of the righteousness by the faith he had while in his uncircumcised state, that he might be the father of all those having faith while in uncircumcision, in order for righteousness to be counted to them;  and a father of circumcised offspring, not only to those who adhere to circumcision, but also to those who walk orderly in the footsteps of that faith while in the uncircumcised state which our father Abraham had.  For it was not through law that Abraham or his seed had the promise that he should be heir of a world, but it was through the righteousness by faith.  For if those who adhere to law are heirs, faith has been made useless and the promise has been abolished.  In reality the Law produces wrath, but where there is no law, neither is there any transgression.  On this account it was as a result of faith, that it might be according to undeserved kindness, in order for the promise to be sure to all his seed, not only to that which adheres to the law, but also to that which adheres to the faith of Abraham.  (He is father of us all, just as it is written:  "I have appointed you a father of many nations.")  This was in the sight of the One in whom he had faith, even of God, who makes the dead alive and calls the things that are not as though they were.  Although beyond hope, yet based o hope he had faith that he might become the father or many nations in accord with what had been said: "So your seed will be."  And although he did not grow weak in faith, he considered his own body, now already deadened, as he was about one hundred years old, also the deadness of the womb of Sarah.  But because of the promise of God he did not waver in a lack of faith, but became powerful by his faith, giving God glory  and being fully convinced that what he had promised he was also able to do.  Hence, "it was counted to him as righteousness"  That "it was counted to him" was written, however, not for his sake only.  But also for the sake of us to whom it is destined to be counted, because we believe on him who raised Jesus our Lord up from the dead.  He was delivered up for the sake of our trespasses and was raised up for the sake of declaring us righteous.

John 1:17 -Because the Law was given through Moses, the undeserved kindness and the truth came to be through Jesus Christ.

Matthew 5:17- Do not think I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets I came not to destroy but to fulfill.

This scripture shows simply that Jesus himself was to fulfill the law, which was fulfilled with his death on the cross. The Law (given by God himself) was inspired, with the purpose of pointing to Christ, and to show the peoples need for a savior. This is discussed in greater detail in the book of Hebrews.

The moral aspects of the Mosaic Law was fulfilled when Christ gave his life for our sins. The teachings of Paul help to drive this point home. Galatians 3:24-25- Consequently the Law has become our tutor leading to Christ, that we might be declared righteous due to faith. But now that the faith has arrived we are no longer under a tutor.

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting JTnJT:

I wish I knew exactly where it was at the moment, but I have a document from our church, that they gave me while pregnant with my son, it goes into detail, about the old laws and how the determination was made to advocate against circumcision for religious reasons.  I'm going to look for it, but may not get it posted until tomorrow.  I found it to be a very interesting read.   

As far as your question, I can't say that in our (nondenominational) church they've discussed in any detail either topic.  I know we have at least one "gay" couple who attend, so I'm assuming they must not frown too much on it.

Sounds like you need to read your BIBLE, and Not depend on others to do it for you.

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:27 AM
Dunno. Good point though.
This Christian left her boys intact
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JTnJT
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:33 AM

Why would you say this to me?  Simply because I state that I had a document that was prepared by my church?  So, does that mean that you don't read any documentations given you by your church?    Just because I found the document to be interesting, doesn't mean that I don't know my own bible, nor does it mean I let others think for me.  Although, I personally feel you should perhaps think before making such a statement to someone you don't know anything about.  As, it happens, I was raised in the household of a minister, so I know my bible quite well, thank you just the same.

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting JTnJT:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:36 AM
Quoting SissyAnn141:

why does she need to go to another church? I grew up in a country with a majority Lutheran, I went to church, Sunday school, got confirmated, and I had NEVER heard a priest say anything hateful like I read and hear about so many American Churches! there was only talk about being loving, follow the ten commandments, how Jesus wanted everyone to get a long and so on. I actually became agnostic after moving to the US because of all of the hateful Christians here. So many of them are nothing like I 'knew' about Christians.
Beautiful31mom
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Why do I need to attend another Church? Just FYI, not all Churchs are hateful, Hell, Mine even has a Woman as a Pastor. I love my Forward thinking church and will stay, thank you very much.

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Quoting Beautiful31mom:

our church has not spoke about either topic.

I think, you need to attend another "CHURCH".

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)