Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For Christians. A question about the church.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Why do churches preach so heavily about being gay, but dont preach about other things like circumcision.... This is something in the NT that says we should NOT do.. Yet many Christians still do it, and many of them believe they should for biblical reasons..

Im not looking for a intact vs circ. argument, Ive read that post a'plenty... This is not about THAT.. It is about the CHURCH not preaching against something that many of its people are doing, if we should follow the bible, why not try to help Christians follow it better by teaching them what the Word says about circumcision?

Why does the church want to focus on something that is really a personal choice that an adult makes on their own (which may of us believe being gay is NOT a choice), but ignore what PARENTS are putting on their children..

http://www.udonet.com/circumcision/christian.html.

http://www.gci.org/law/circumcision

(Also I am Christian, so this is not a Christian Bash post. But we do not attend church often because we find most to not only teach against certain things- but teach hate towards them as well...)

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM
I've never heard a sermon against being gay and I've been a Christian and in church all my life. In fact, at one church I visited a few times while on vacation, the pastor was a gay man.
LectioDivina
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM

My Church has a gay Choir Director, Musical Director, Children's Director and preaches to love everyone as you love yourself....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM
My church has not focused on either topic. And I circ'd for health reasons not religious.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM
The points you are making are from a religious perspective. People don't circ babies for religious reasons. (Unless you're Jewish). The church is not going to get into a medical debate about this procedure. Is the church going to get into vax/no vax debate? Or a drug vs herbal debate? No, because these aren't religious issues. Neither is circumcision. That's why you don't hear about this issue in the pulpit. I am a devout practicing, conservative Christian, and I've never used the bible as an argument for or against circ'ing.
EntrepeneurMom
by The Major on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM
In the bible it says hate the sin, not the sinner. If your church teaches hate then you're better off not attending. I have never experienced anything like that in mine, only love for everyone regardless of their choices.
Also you have to remember the books in the bible that outline those rules, such as Leviticus, were written for that era, in that era. It also says in the bible, that if your house gets mould somewhere you should tear it down and burn it, nowadays we'd pop to a DIY store for bleach spray. Some things were of that time and don't necessarily apply to us today.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Amen.

Quoting Anonymous:

Churches, and not all of them, (but most), are teaching laws and rules.  They need to stop this!  It is turning so many people away from God, and it's really sad.  Churches need to focus on the real reason God wants us to have churches.  To support eachother, to worship God, to fellowship with each other, and to learn.  Not about judging others, not following OLD biblical laws, and not about focusing on people's lifestyle choices!!!!  God is the judge, and he will forgive those who love him.  And Christians have to stop playing God and judging others!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Ive heard of a few Xtians circing because they thought it was what the bible said to do.

A friend of mine in fact did... But I had a son 5yrs later, kept him intact & now since she knows different she wishes she would have left her own son intact.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

The points you are making are from a religious perspective. People don't circ babies for religious reasons. (Unless you're Jewish). The church is not going to get into a medical debate about this procedure. Is the church going to get into vax/no vax debate? Or a drug vs herbal debate? No, because these aren't religious issues. Neither is circumcision. That's why you don't hear about this issue in the pulpit. I am a devout practicing, conservative Christian, and I've never used the bible as an argument for or against circ'ing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM
This. When salvation was opened to all, the christian Jews were told not to impose old testament rituals on gentiles, I don't see where that translates to "don't circ" or "do" or anything related. We are supposed to work out "our own salvation with fear and trembling" no one else's. The church was corrected in epistles for not butting out of peoples personal business!

Quoting Anonymous:

The church I attend does not preach against homosexuality anymore than it advocates circumcision. Matter of fact, I have never heard anything preached about either from their pulpit.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Mar. 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Thats why we do not attend church very much.. We are in tx & so far 2 churches we have been to we have left feeling they are being judgemental.. 1 church Ive heard the preacher preach against gay people 3 times in a matter of about 2 months!! :-/ .... Me & DH friends go to this church, so at times DH end up going because its on the way to their fishing hole.

Leviticus is old testament...We are to follow new testament (which is what is quoted in the websites above)... So im not sure where your going with this.....

Quoting EntrepeneurMom:

In the bible it says hate the sin, not the sinner. If your church teaches hate then you're better off not attending. I have never experienced anything like that in mine, only love for everyone regardless of their choices.
Also you have to remember the books in the bible that outline those rules, such as Leviticus, were written for that era, in that era. It also says in the bible, that if your house gets mould somewhere you should tear it down and burn it, nowadays we'd pop to a DIY store for bleach spray. Some things were of that time and don't necessarily apply to us today.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)